+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Blessing or a curse?

Blessing or a curse?

Is staying up now a blessing or a curse? Do we continue in the same vein to bring in loan players while waiting for a few academy lads to make the grade. Have we got any money to bring in the type of player that would make us competitive, even on a free?
    Is staying in a league where the step up for the younger lads is greater worth the relegation scrap year after year? Or would dropping down a division really be that bad, if it means we can let more of our youngsters learn their trade.

I mean, why have loan players on the bench game after game. It doesn't make financial sense.

re: Blessing or a curse?

You got to be Joking to suggest going down to L2 just in hope of giving kids more of a chance of playing,in the 1st Team. If the club wants to save money then get rid of some of the backroom staff and assistant Manager Post,and put some money into the 1st team,if the kids can not cope with the L1 get rid of them as there just not good enough.The club already keeps them on the books to long,hoping they come good eg. A.J L Smith how many years?

league one anytime
    agree too many backroom staff
    is Bakes ever gonna take over --- no

would like someone to tell me how many people worth at "The Heath" that arnt coaches

anyone = or just how many

Interesting that there are comments saying that we have too many backroom staff, yet asking on the same hand asking how many we have? Surely you need to know the answer to the first question before having an opinion on the second?

In terms of the thread, i'd always want to be in the higher league. Ultimately our young players need to be good enought to play at the level that we're at.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNevitt1981
    Is staying up now a blessing or a curse? Do we continue in the same vein to bring in loan players while waiting for a few academy lads to make the grade. Have we got any money to bring in the type of player that would make us competitive, even on a free?
    Is staying in a league where the step up for the younger lads is greater worth the relegation scrap year after year? Or would dropping down a division really be that bad, if it means we can let more of our youngsters learn their trade.

I mean, why have loan players on the bench game after game. It doesn't make financial sense.
    Dropping down a division would of had financial implications for the club not only losing money from the Football League but also gates especially with 15 southern based clubs which would of meant overnight stays for the squad at a cost.

Also players values would drop and the chance of getting decent loan players if required would of been harder

I think league 1 football is central to the existence of this club and dropping down to league 2 would have dire consequences for the club. We have some wonderfully gifted players waiting in the wing and league 1 football is essential to there development on top of that we get increased money from the football league and we will receive more money for our players when they are ready to move on. I don't think we will see the same at the start of next season, 4 points from 11 games is not something we are likely to see again. It is all about youth with a few experienced players thrown in and our youth are starting to show they are upto the task. 48 points from 35 games is a pretty good return and shows that we can compete.