+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Message from Paul "Shagger" McManus to Red Lichtie fans

Message from Paul "Shagger" McManus to Red Lichtie fans

Would like to wish all the Arbroath fans all the success in the future . After suffering a really bad injury against Annan I'm now out for up to 6 months with no club .im a bit disappointed on the outcome considering I've gave my all playing for the club and now find myself going through nhs to get my operation done and to get myself physically back to to the standard I was playing at. I'm not one for holding grudges but I do feel things could have been done a lot more professional and with a lot more respect . I hope I gave you all great memorys with the 25 goals I scored for your club in a short space of time . I will be forever greatful to Paul Sheeran and Stuart Petrie for bringing me to the club and enjoying my football again. Also big thanks to the tea ladies who do everything to make sure both sets of players are looked after games . I will miss lot of great people at the club again I hope yous do well In the future. X

re: Message from Paul "Shagger" McManus to Red Lichtie fans

Personally I am disgusted the way the AFC Manager/Club have dealt with Paul.
    This lad always gave the club 110% and gets injured playing for US then we throw him on the scrap heap?? that is a disgrace imo.
    It was not like he got injured at his work or doing something away from the club.
    Surely like any employer we have a "duty of care" rather than ditch him.
    The club should have helped him in his recovery and kept hold of his registration (obviously only gets paid if he returns to play) but at least showed a bit of loyalty to him.
    Sad to say if you read the comments on his fb page from other professional players and Red Lichtie and other clubs fans it does not put our club in a good light and to be honest it is embarrassing as our club are being slagged off and slated.
    Unsure if this was Lumsden or the AFC Boards call but it is shocking imo.
    This on the back of Maggies 28 loyal years coming to an end is not good PR for our club.

All the best Shagger and thanks for you effort and goals

An absolute disgrace seriously considering not renewing season ticket now, gave us more than 100% every week what a joke we are becoming. Where is the decency, hope you get back Paul and among the goals again, maybe Baxter, s****ie,Malcolm, and Travis right to seek pastures knew they have all bettered themselves what is going on...

Would it be appropriate for Callon to explain the decision from the board's perspective?

In today's Courier Lumsden has released Smith, Buchan, Crawford, Lindsay and McManus and has offered new deals to Nicoll, Stewart, Little, McBride, lowden and Johnstone. No mention of Linn or Whatley!

I think in Shagger's case it's purely a football one. Yes he was great for us (not so much recently in terms of scoring goals) but every player comes to the end of his time at some point, just unfortunate he got his injury when he did.

A big rebuilding job on now, with no recognised striker, no goalie, and defence & midfield needing bolstered. I won't be considering not renewing my season ticket, I support Arbroath FC not one player.

Linn and Whatley still have a year running on contract

re: Message from Paul

I,ve supported AFC for 40 years now and will continue to support them but this saga and some of the other things that have went on this season have been rank in my opinion. We are supposed to be the best Angus club in the area well where I,m sitting doesn,nt seem that way. As movie quote in the film Field Of Dreams 'if you build it they will come'. Never a true choice of words in this case because if we can get a stable team, management etc in place the fans will be the highest in the division and Angus of that there is no doubt.
    Centre Half available for next season Graham Hay released by Formartine due to travelling issues, get him signed.

re: Message from Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DougLichtie
    Would it be appropriate for Callon to explain the decision from the board's perspective?
    I don't think so.

The board are elected by shareholders to make these decisions, if the fans don't like them it's up to them to present an alternative to the shareholders and get a vote in their favour.

The decision to release McManus is partly justified. He'll not be able to play for half a season and he's just missed a good chunk of the season, it could be a big gamble as he might not return the same player.

There is obviously an issue with the manner in which this has been handled and this has been echoed by previous players. This can only damage our chances of keeping or signing players in future as word gets out.

The best thing we can do as fans is to support the players through thick and thin and avoid the abuse some of our players receive. There's been a number of players who've received plenty of non-constructive criticism which

Having been going to gayfield since 1968, and no doubt will keep going, however,watching paul mc manus over the last couple of seasons, this guy always gave 110%, surely the board could have given him the chance to recover, even on a reduced wage ,if that can be done,? Paul had a decent goals tally , so therefore a proven striker.A member of Forfar fc was seriously disappointed when we got him from them,saying they thought he was one of their best players at the time,On the subject of Forfar fc,it shows lack of foresight/ man management, that several player let go by Arbroath fc,look set to play 2 leagues above us, can some of the afc, board explain some of these decisions on here? Anyway, good luck paul on your recovery,and hope you get back in the game soon.

Unless Vladimir Romanov has been in charge without us knowing for the past few seasons the questions being asked in this thread can only be answered by Paul Sheerin, Allan Moore and Todd Lumsden.
    I am really sorry and have the utmost sympathy for Pauls position particularly if his injury is as serious as it appears to be. However I dont think the club is in a position to fly him out to the USA for an operation and then rehab, then have him sitting in the stand for 8 months. Thats the harsh reality of the situation.
    It works both ways though and if you take Rangers when it all went financially Pete Tong, how many players stayed around to support the club ?
    Neither of these answers are right or are what we would all hope for, but thats the reality of football in 2015.
    I am sure Richard (site doesnt let you use his normal) Campbell when he let Paul McManus go he thought he would replace him (in his opinion) with a better player. We benefitted in getting a great player who had a poin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)