+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Queens young team

The Queens young team

No , not that crazy lot on the terrace but the players we have in our squad for next season ...

We've five ****agers & another seven who are aged 20 or just over

Some may argue that we've too many youngsters in or squad but personally think a mixture of youth and the experience of the senior players will be ***** next season . The youngsters will learn so much from the likes of Lyle , Russell , Higgins , Dowie & even Conroy

I'd rather have youngsters in our squad than some overrated journeymen

The young team -

Jake Pickard -18
    Shaun Rutherford -18
    Aiden Smith -18
    Jordan Marshall -18
    Steven Higgins -19
    Jim Atkinson -20
    Scott Hooper -20
    Lewis Kidd -20
    Darren Brownlie -21
    Dale Hilson -22
    Robbie Thomson -22
    Kyle Jacobs -24

re: The Queens young team

Young fit enthusiastic players who'd run through a brick wall for you are exactly what the club needs .

I'm really looking forward to seeing these players & the season ahead

Certainly plenty youngsters in the squad but can't see many actually starting games . I've heard & read good reports about several of them though . Their hunger and desire will be so important next season for Queens

The challenge set out to Fowler this season will be the toughest he has had in his career . To lose SIX mainstays ( I am including Zander) and still be competitive will be a true test of his managerial credentials and eye for spotting young talent . I am starting to get the hunger now for this season and find this all a bit intriguing . I enjoy Cresswell' s offerings but don't agree with him being underwhelmed at our signings . After all, this is the way we have to go presently in marrying prospective youth/ talent with the ' old heeds----------- The developed players that some reckon we should go for have their sights set higher than us at the moment, being out of our reach, BUT, if we keep progressing in all areas , then we could be in the market for these kind of guys and maybe keep our own stars in years to come. The club is in safe hands and the only way to get where we want to be is move an inch , consolidate and then move another . There will be no Gretna style situation happe

[quote="aloreburn"]Young fit enthusiastic players who'd run through a brick wall for you are exactly what the club needs .

The ability to run through a brick wall is not an attribute I regard highly in players. I'd much rather have players who can control a ball first time, who can pass a ball to a team-mate etc - in other words, who have the basic skills that are so sadly lacking even in many players who are playing at a higher level than Queens.

I see our signings as planting seeds for the future rather than rebuilding from where we left off last season. IMO we have signed too much youth and not enough seasoned at this level or higher players but we have to give them a chance but patience isn't something the average QoS fan has so if we are not getting results the novelty of youth will soon wear off...

I think if this new team can get a mid table finish it would be a good season for what is many of these players their first playing at this higher level. Whilst I have no doubt everyone will give it their all, a play off spot is too much to expect.

This combination of youth and experience does have a promising look about it though. I do hope the Queens fans are patient with these new players and don't jump on them every time there is a mistake or bad performance. We need to build confidence, not kill it.

Doubters will always doubt. Who has said the Manager has finished his signing spree? There are still ALOT of seasoned legs out there with no clubs that would offer the Mighty South something. I will judge his signings at the end of the season. MTS!

There's no doubt that its a risk signing so many young players that are relatively unproven at our level. Its obviously a strategy that the Manager is comfortable with and its no doubt been discussed at Board level as well in terms of the way the club wants to go. Like every other manager though, Fowler will stand or fall by the results he achieves. Seems an obvious thing to say, but if the young squad doesn't gel the way he hopes and get the results the Board and fans expect then he will be under pressure.

Several of the young players above have already had plenty first team experience . Can't see them fitting into their new side being a problem

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)