+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colclough

re: Colclough

I have mixed feelings in that when I served 6 year apprenticeship with BR and went to college day release. I could leave anytime I liked with no compensation for all the time, money and effort that was given to me back to BR. So should football clubs with academies be any different? The difference in most companies is that training people is a small part of the overall budget and they are in business to make money by what they produced eg providing traction and rolling stock in my case and in others eg Bentley, to sell cars etc.

So a case could be made that we do exist by selling on our produce, ie footballers BUT when that is compromised like in these cases, then maybe its time to reconsider another model so we don't put most of our money into the academy but a lower percentage, but you know my feelings on that well enough.

The other big difference though is that we could not leave to join another company while someone assessed our ability like Clayton did and now seemingly C

I assume Mike, that had you left part way through your training, you would not have been in a situation where your next employer could sell you to another company for millions. Football academies are different as I am sure you know, because a young lad could move to another club, play for a couple of season as David Platt did all those years ago, and then get a big money transfer which his new employer benefited from in total. We, and more specifically, Dario turned him into that marketable commodity. We have learned since then thank God.

I don't get it !!!
    He is our player, if Wolves want him then offer money for him, why is he allowed to go on trial.
    Did Man. U allow Real Madrid to take Ronaldo on trial before they bought him? Poor analogy but you get my drift I hope.

By the way what are the nightclubs like in Wolverhampton?

I noted that Colclough played the first 45 mins and then the Wolves manager used a different 11 the second half. Wolves won 4-3 but he wasn't on the score sheet. I would have thought he would have left him on for the second half though IF he was looking to pay a biggish fee for him. The fact he didn't suggests maybe he thought he was not as good as what he had already?

I did read that SD said the club have a figure in mind for Colclough and it was essential they stuck out for that figure for the future of the club and so my guess would be a million pounds, but as a virtually untried league player, would think a tribunal would not be looking at anything like that fee....Clayton was 300K and so for Colclough? Any thoughts folks, apart from the fact their surnames both start with C.....

Reckon around the same figure as for Clayton but the whole situation of players/agents dictating to clubs rankles with me.

Me too. It is killing small clubs. Too much money in the game

Played 45 minutes for Wolves today against Doncaster.

I would be very surprised if we got as much for Colclough as we did for Clayton for the following reasons:

Firstly Max played 74 times for us, scoring 16 times where Ryan has played 37, scoring 5.

Secondly Max played 31 times for assorted England age group sides, scoring 22 times where Ryan has appeared on no occasions.

The only location where Ryan has made more appearances than Max is in court, which wouldn't necessarily improve his transfer value!!

Why don't we continue to play him if he's the best we've got?

We're prepared to throw on a couple of loan defenders, which could be risky (remember GK Bogdan?). At least we know what Colclough can do, even if his heart isn't in it. If he's selected for Saturday, Jackett can either put up or shut up. And does Colclough really want to go to a club with a glut of attacking players, if he's keen to play.

Regretfullly, this is probably less important to him than drawing better wages.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast