+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame

The first three inductees to the Arbroath FC Hall of Fame will bed at the 130th Anniversary of the 36-0 world record gala dinner in September. I feel sure that many Lichtie supporters, along with myself, will expect one of those three, if not the first on the list, to be the late Albert Henderson who managed the club for more than 17 years. Older supporters will remember him leading the team into the old first division and bringing Andy Penman, surely one of the classiest players to wear the maroon shirt, to the club. There are many playerss who come to mind for induction and everyone will have their favourite; Tam Cargill, Eric Sellars, Jimmy Jack, Dave Easson, the list goes on and it will be interesting to see who is chosen for the first induction.

re: Hall of Fame

This is a great idea and will lead to much debate I am sure.
    Who is responsible for selecting the Hall of Famers??

Albert Henderson's achievements and outstanding service to the club should have been rewarded with a memorial plaque or terrace standd after him a long time ago.

Good to see he is getting the accolades and recognition he deserves - he was credit not just Arbroath, but Scottish Football.

A real Arbroath legend.

There will be great debate on this and you could go back as far as 13 goal Petrie in the World Record 36-0 game but my 1st 3 would be (and is purely on the furthest back years I can remember getting them 1st):-

1. Sir Albert Henderson - Mr Gayfield and legend in all that is Arbroath FC.

2. Dave Easson - Red Lichtie goalscoring supreme.

3. Ian Stirling - Captain Fantastic.

My next lot would be your Tam Cargill's/Alan Kennedy Snr/Jimmy Cant/Jimmy Jack etc etc..

Great idea but just how far back do we go? The furthest I can go is the days of Grant, Box, T.Gray etc, but my father always spoke of Bob McGlashen who was manager when A.F.C. were in League 1 just before W.W.2 when they beat Celtic in the league.
    I think Iam correct when I say he was with A.F.C. for 30years as player,coach and manager but who to-day can remember that? He may well have been manager when we reached the semi-final of the Scottish-cup at Dens in 1947 when we were beaten 3-1 by Aberdeen.

DougLichtie - a small group is to be set up that will choose the candidates for the Hall of Fame. This group is currently being gathered and will consist of fans from various areas and Club reps. It is pretty certain that there will be debate and disagreement along the way not just in who should be in the AFC Hall of Fame but even in the choosing group. However it is not a race to appoint "Hall of Famers" and this will now become a regular event at dinners etc during the year and years ahead.
    A suitable way of marking their achievement in making the AFC Hall of Fame is also almost confirmed.
    Hope this gives you some background and all will be revealed in due course.

Meant to add Eric Sellars to my next batch of nominees for my AFC Hall Of Famers.

Surely Ned Doig our only capped player would have to be in with a shout

Thanks WCW, I was thinking/hoping that there would be more people inducted in the future.
    I'm sure the selection committee will do a great job.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)