+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Splash Cash Season!!!!

re: Splash Cash Season!!!!

At the risk of supporting DK (the Drift King?) on this one, the "£ 500m being spent" headline is no doubt presented on a consistent, albeit inflammatory, basis year on year. It is the only easily accessible measure, but as Anywho says, it is unreliable. There are two trends at play here: (a) transfer fee inflation and (b) a revolving multiplier where the same pound is spend more and more times. Both hype up total fees, and the media will naturally latch onto the biggest number since the "gene pool thinners" will get most excited by it.

Example: Man City buy Sterling for £ 50m from Liverpool, who buy Benteke from Villa for £ 32.5m, who buy Gestede for £ 7.5m etc etc. In this chain £ 50m buys £ 90m and its far from complete.

This can lead you to conclude more money is being spent, but in reality it could be the same money being spent more times.

Hopes?! Good god no!!!

I think it would be a dreadful bit of business for us.

What I mean is that they have column inches (or minutes on TV) to fill and are not too fussed on the veracity of what they fill it with!

These can apply to unsubstantiated rumours, agents trying to whip up trade for their clients or, as with the point I made initially, 'facts' (I use the term loosely) that do not stand up to scrutiny.

I don't know why you seem to want to escalate that 'media outrage'. I'm just not naïve.

You do seem to have a penchant for reductio ad absurdum.

Careful Anywho, if you keep down this "facts" avenue, people are going to think you are a doppleganger of the Rat!

I cannot however imagine that your use of Latin will be appreciated - they only start teaching that in secondary schools dont they?

Well Sky Sports tend to be mostly interested in Premier League clubs any way thats because transfer deadline day is mostly for them.

Sky Sports tend to be interested in the biggest deals that draws the viewers in and the media.

A new tv deal has come into play this season which has highly interested the top clubs which draws them in to buy the bigger players.

for a while there I was on your side mate, but those last 3 comments are so naive I shant bother

Alright pal no worries all comments welcome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)