+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: F.A.O. Lord P

F.A.O. Lord P

Really missed the ' Only Team in the Bible ' today.

I think it has become part of who we are and know that many people look forward to it as part of pre-match build up.

Of course there will always be those in opposition but I hope this was a 'one-off' omission and that it will return next time.

re: F.A.O. Lord P

Don't know about 'Only team' song but I believe the powers that be at Palmy have had complaints about
    the choice of songs played.. - its impossible to please every one and, imo, it is a no - win situation for the
    disc jockey / tannoy lad.

Agree it must be a thankless task trying to please everyone with the choice of music. Like a lot of things in football it's a generation thing, some prefer modern stuff, some prefer older tunes, some even prefer flute and drum music I believe. Perhaps the club could run a competition to let maybe 6 different supporters each week pick 1 song each to be played in the build up to the game, subject to the content being acceptable of course. I obviously don't know the technical practicalities of this idea but a few other clubs do something similar I believe. The teams could still come out to "Only Team in the Bible". A bit of background music during the half-time interval could also be played although I understand that Lord P may be busy getting and giving out information about scores , etc. I also noticed that there was no music played at the end of the game yesterday. We had just recorded a fine home win but supporters shuffled out in silence. "That's The Way I Like It" (KC & The Sunsh

I am in agreement with much being said here. I certainly concur that musical preference is completely subjective and will generate differing & contradictory opinion. With music like many other things it will never be possible to please all of the people all of the time. This is a point discussed on here before.

Similarly discussed on here before is the song 'The only team in the bible'. My humble view is that I welcome the decision made by whoever it was for this not to be played. Further I very much hope it remains off the Palmerston play list forever more. Could you imagine how this song would go down with someone like Mourinho in his relentless quest to obtain even the slightest psychological advantage at every opportunity? "We may not be the best, we not beat the rest" ? I've no issue with humility & modesty but these lyrics quite simply belie ambition & professionalism and instead convey defeatism. Fortress Palmerston with this music? I find it difficult to understand how it wa

Palmyman, you are spot on - it is an impossible task to please all of the people all of the time.

A task which Lord P. has dealt with very well over the years and I, for one, have enjoyed the mix he comes up with. Very cryptic at times and requires some thought on occasion to work out certain selections and which always makes me chuckle when I do work it out.

It's ridiculous if people have complained to the Club about music selection for which I am sure they have no input and grant Lord P., quite rightly, autonomy in this area.

My intention was not to start some sort of ' X-Factor ' operation on this - no polling or voting required, just leave it to the guy who knows.

I was only remarking about the absence of the regular number as the teams come out as it has been there for so long and was quite noticeable by its absence.

All this talk of it being negative psychologically and us being disadvantaged by it is absolute nonsense - we have, after all, reached the Scottish

Can't believe that anybody has complained to the club over such a trivial matter as the music being played.

Perhaps "the only team etc" has had its day and something else could be played as the teams come out, but personally not that bothered.

Got to the ground about 2.40 on Saturday and after speaking to the people that sit round about I can't even remember any song that was played.

Looking forward to hearing Love Street by The Doors in a few weeks time though.

Lord P (Alec the Hat) has been the dee-jay for many, many years since takng over from Fab Rab owner
    of the record shop in the Whitesands

This is fascinating ....we've all heard the expression "eye of the beholder" but we have a real "ear of the beholder" situation here!....... Doondoon complains about the line ( "We may not be the best, we not beat the rest" ? I've no issue with humility & modesty but these lyrics quite simply belie ambition & professionalism and instead convey defeatism.)....... this line occurs in the second verse of the song.... NINE YEARS AGO I EDITED THE SONG LEAVING OUT THE OFFENDING SECOND VERSE (WHICH I FOUND "A DOWNER" AS WELL).... SO FOR THE LAST 9 SEASONS THE "OFFENDING" VERSE HASN'T BEEN SUNG! ......
    So there's a real strange one .... folk hear things that aren't there! .......

Simple, its such a dire song I try to block it out my mind ;-)
    My nephew has a copy which he plays occasionally. I've no idea why about things with these youngsters

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)