+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Eye Opening"

"Eye Opening"

Having just heard R. Stoke and a Crewe Alex Shareholder call in to ask the Commentator "How many Staff do you think C.Alex have on the Payroll" He said 23 playing staff and 83 others including Coaches,Academy Staff,ect, ect over 100 STAFF . i mean he must be correct as he said he had the balance sheet.

R Stoke have asked him to call back tomorrow to discus it more, any shareholders on here ? and what does anyone think of that? as one texter said Forrest Green in the Conference have a bigger budget than Crewe.

re: "Eye Opening"

Does that include tea bar staff, wet bar staff, groundsmen, lottery people, programme sellers, turnstile operators, cleaners and so on? It's not surprising really is it?

23 playing staff? Does that include those who play in the U21s and U18s? I would be surprised if the playing staff on the payroll was as few as 23. Less surprised by the other. We do not know what is involved in running a business like Crewe Alexandra FC. There will be a number of part time staff such as bar staff, etc

The club run teams and squads right down to primary school age boys; clearly they need to employ people for their coaching and welfare. A number of jobs will be part-time, yet a good many of the jobs will see people working 6 or 7 days a week. It was interesting to hear Steve Davis's explanations regarding the reorganisation of staff. They employ fewer staff than other League Two clubs, and other Category Two Academies, and they were looking to create more efficient use of the staff they have.
    As for the comparison with Forest Green Rovers - that's irrelevant, since they're bankrolled by an individual, so unless or until that guy loses interest, they'll probably have a bigger budget than quite a few league clubs.

re:

I don't understand why this is supposed to be 'eye opening'. In addition to the staff mentioned in the above post there is also, I presume, staff such as the match day stewards and lets not forget that many of these 83 staff are part time and on or near to minimum wage. So they are hardly costing the Alex much particularly when you compare what some of the players are on.

If Forest Green have a bigger budget than the Alex then they have a bigger budget than most of the clubs in League 2 which says more about whats happening at Forest Green than the Alex. However I suspect the truth is that if their budget is bigger it would only be after the costs of our academy are removed. Even so I know which club I would rather be a supporter of.

Think you'll find all professional organisations and institutions have infrastructures of similar proportion?

An athlete for instance. One runner with management, dietary, fitness, tech support back up. We have numerous age groups of potential future gain. If you like - commodities. You have to speculate to accumulate and to do this there needs to be a certain level of support and infrastructure.

re: Staff Numbers

My copy of the annual reports for the year ending 30th June 2014 states;
    Management, Players and Coaches 83
    Administration 25

Whilst I believe that the figure of 83 is quite large for a club of our size and with our recent playing performance this figure does include Directors.