+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A roundup: thoughts on the current situation

A roundup: thoughts on the current situation

After the first few games of the new season, it’s clear and obvious to most of us that something isn’t working. Having read many posts on here and various social networking sites, the feeling seems to be mutual with a lot of people. Of course there are those who may not agree. I just want to summarise a few peoples thoughts, and see what people think. It’s going to be quite long winded, but I would like to know your thoughts. (apologies in advance) if you can still be bothered to read this. The essay begins:

1. Our defence setup isn’t working.

Centre-Back
    - Danny Collins: is he lacking fitness/playing time,confidence or is he just not up to the quality of the championship anymore? (or something else?) - I personally feel it is the latter.
    - Greg Halford: the general consensus is that he seems disinterested, lacking leadership qualities, and doesn’t seem to provide the quality promised.
    - The alternatives: - Farrend Rawson: based on last season when fit, generally the

re: A roundup: thoughts on the current situation

Collin back in goal as been a must. Buxton I think a good right back, struggling at left back need Mattock fit or buy/loan a player. Centre back, Halford is not a leader, along with Collins not the answer, need Rawson alongside Wood /Thorpe or Broadfoot. Smallwood in midfield as not got his spark he had last year, Freclington doesn't seem fit, G Ward is in a game in spasms,Green & White have a go. Newell is a really good prospect.
    Maguire is being played out of position, Danny Ward would be better suited playing with Derbyshire & Harris up front, Bowery needs to get on the training field, & needs to learn how to head a ball.
    Coaches, Evans needs to ditch Raynor & Black.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you reading it.

we really need to sort something out, big decisions need to happen.

Its ok having a dig at negative fans,but perhaps,a few may be a trifle miffed about working all week for peanuts,and then watching their team(Clarke-Harris apart),play like they couldnt give a toss,and collecting thousands per week.

If it was a meal you would have sent it back to the kitchen and walked out.

Couple of thoughts on an excellent and perceptive summary.

1. Hoofball. This 1,000,000% Evans' responsibility. It's been the root of his style since day one. "We only have one of playing", as Raynor put it at Wembley. You're not telling me that Evans isn't in control of everything that happens, and that a coach is teaching them to waft it aimlessly forward when he wants something different.

2. the contract situation was a mess. Telling Morgan we'd wait until the summer to see what we'd offer him, if anything, was insane (after all, we'd offered and got Frecks to sign a new deal). Not discussing an extension to Arnason's contract was daft. Accepting Millwalls offer for Pringle was cretinous. For all the changes in playing staff, the same core, assembled in the fourth division was the foundation of what we did well. He seems not to have recognised this and allowed that foundation to drift away. Do I think we could have got Morgan to have signed an extension last season at Christmas

Bournmouth played the same back 4 yesterday that got them promoted from League 1.

The only recognisable thing about Evans teams is that they are unrecignisable.

Every point in your post david is spot on..after all the players signed over the last 3 seasons, we still havnt got a settled team...indeed, we look the worst weve ever looked..steves well and truly tangled up and the quicksand is near....ever thought how many players weve had..? Is it over the 70 mark? Maybe 60? He certainly holds the record of any rotherham manager for signing players..

I seem to remember reading somewhere that we gave the most debuts last season of any team in the Footbal League.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast