+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weimann rant

re: Weimann rant

I think it's a bit harsh to be overly critical of him based on the Burnley game especially since there was tumbleweed often blowing on Forsyth and Weiman's side of the pitch. As a team, I think we managed to get Weimann into one promising situation and that was from a Carson up and under. All was left for him to do was hassle and chase down and he did that very well.

I can see Weimann being a lot more effective in our away games, like he was at Birmingham, where he can exploit the space in front of him. Burnley gave absolutely nothing away.

I also think the criticism of Weimann is quite loud in a few people's minds because Monday was crying out for an explosive player with tight ball control. A fit and in form Jamie Ward could have made the difference on Monday.

He played up front with Chirs Martin and I agree he looked a threat.

'A fit and in form Jamie Ward could have made a difference on Monday...', but how often was one of those available last season? Think it's a big mistake to compare Ward and Weimann anyway. Weimann is not and never has been a wide man. His strengths are - allegedly - to play off a big strong target man (Martin) and use his undoubted speed to snap up the knock downs and lay offs. Until we recognise that we're not going to see the best of Weimann and his confidence will be knocked as he's increasingly identified by frustrated fans as a waste of money.

Unbelievable to be so critical to a young lad, who's just moved to a new club, who's made only 2 starts, both of which being out of position.

And the whole reason we play 4-5-1 (4-3-3) is to accomdate Martin, Baz. in that shape if he doesnt play well then we dont!

Weimann gives us plenty of options.

If we were to play two up front, that would probably mean dropping Russell. Who is quite simply undroppable at the moment.

Why would it?

4-4-2

---------------Carson-------------

Christie-Keogh-Shackell-Forsyth

Russell-Thorne-Butterfield-Johnson

---------Martin---Weimann/Ince/Bent-------------

You're welcome

or maybe

Russell
    Christie/Keogh/Shackell/Forsyth
    Ince/Thorne/Butterfield/Johnson
    Martin/Weimann

Playing Weimann means dropping either Ince or Russell. One player who is in the form of his life, and the other is too good to drop. Also worth pointing out that Martin struggled with two up front last season when we were trying to fit Bent and him in the same team.

If we were to try it out then it would still be a risk. Something we can't afford to take too many of.

I'm glad people are saying Russell is in the form of his life after I said pre season that Russell is about to have the season of his life, makes me very happy.

Onto weimann, impressive from him today. Looked sharp, and saved our *********s too. Gives me hope.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)