+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Seasons review (for every team)

re: A Seasons review (for every team)

Aye Gaz there were a lot of terrible pitches about in them days.

It makes you wonder how better some of the players could have been if they had a chance of playing on some of the bowling greens that we see today.

Kenny Stroud for one Stan what a belter of an equalizer that was

My 'team of the seventies' ........

Alan Stevenson
    Mick Docherty
    Colin Waldron (he used to take my money off me sometimes when I'd been in't Hour Glass)
    Martin Dobson
    Keith Newton
    Doug Collins
    Billy Ingham (RIP, he used to ferry me about sometimes. I wonder if he thought I was a bastid Alto? )
    Leighton James
    Dave Thomas
    Frank Casper
    Paul Fletcher

Sorry to leave out the great Peter Noble.

How could you leave Peter Noble out Stan.. shame on you..

Colin Waldron used to take my money off me as well, he was my local bookie .. I might have told this tale
    Before, but for those that haven heard it here it is again.. Went in one day to put a bet on ,took the dog wih me ,whilst i was watching the race on the telly i spied Waldron running out from behind the counter with a brush and shovel and a few other punters laughing..when i turned round my dog had done a massive dump in the middle of the floor . ..we became very good friends after that ,he was

I was shocked to see Noble left out but then I tried to think of my team and struggled to leave too many out, so gave up

I reckon Laz would have a better go than me but Harold Flemming with over 200 goals; Maurice Owen with well on the way to 200 goals; Don Rogers of course; Roger Smart; John Trollope; Steve White; Colin Calderwood; Fyortof; McHale; Eastoe; Rideout where do you stop and who can you leave out?
    over to you Laz

'How could you leave Peter Noble out Stan.. shame on you'

Uwe could play virtually anywhere but who do I leave out?

The only one for me who could be considered for Noble is Doc.

Wonder what Calum would say?

Good thread Acido. What a brilliant decade the 70s were for Derby? The 70s was one of the worst for Swindon, i remember the Everton game and also the 3rd round FA cup replay at home to Fulham on a Tuesday evening about 1976 when we thrashed Fulham 5-0 in front of a full house with Moore, Marsh and Best in the Fulham team, i was stood on Stratton Bank that evening gaz, what a brilliant night. You mentioned some players going back way before the 70s gaz, but if you want my greatest ever Swindon team (from the players i actually saw) it would be:

Digby in goal
    Thomas
    Trollope
    Hoddle
    Taylor
    Calderwood
    Moss
    Austin
    Rideout
    Noble
    Rogers

Hi Laz
    I was on the Statton Bank too - I was towards the North Stand side and recall Trollope playing a blinder as I have said many times before.
    Yes you are right I went off topic with my post thanks
    I would still like to abstain from the choices of my team tho
    Were you in the Town End v Everton?
    It was soo ram packed it was obscene lol

I thought it was still terracing lads, but I wasn't sure, great end that, nobody used to take that end not even Manure, but I do remember one year Sheffield Wednesday took it because I got a good kicking from them, they came in in hoards before the really mental Clarets arrived, needless to say when they did the Wendy lot got moved away

And who could forget the home tie with Celtic in the Anglo Scottish Cup, stupid Jocks throwing railings like javelins, how nobody got killed is a mystery.

Billy Ingham, yes he worked on Burnley Bus' and I remember getting on his bus once, it seemed very odd seeing him behind the wheel.

Seen Peter Noble many times in a pub (I forget the of) and always a gentleman.

Players who stood out for me were:

Waldron

Newton

Dobson

Kindon

Collins

James

Thomas

Fletcher

and last but not least, Casper.

A Classic Paul Fletcher goal in the link

- [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjqG9LzvwE]view externa