+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Seasons review (for every team)

re: A Seasons review (for every team)

Soz Im confused here at all these ' Good thread Acido ' comments. People dont usually say that to me on Footymad
    As for some of your comments so far...
    Ram: Was the relationship between Derby/Clough & Leeds really that bad, I cant help but think that The Damned United was brilliant to watch but it was also more than a bit far fetched. Ive heard fans say though that Clough leaving was Derby's loss and Notts Forest's gain.
    Alf & Stan: Who gave you that tag of the 'Team of the 70s' ?. I only ask you this because Crystal Palace apparentlyd themselves the 'Team of the 80s'. lol
    Gaz: Yes I can understand why fans thought that any win over Leeds in those days was welcome and I stick by this even now to this day (but I wont hear a bad word about Allan Clarke or Norman Hunter because of what they did at Barnsley!!).

Can you believe in those days that it was still only 2 points for a win and nobody had ever heard of the play offs & Sky tv.

I hope you are joking about hunter Acido, if not you'll offend all Clarets including me with him ending Frank Casper's career.

I know what a dirty hatchet man he used to be Alto, and it was ace seeing Franny Lee tw*at him in that Man City v Leeds match etc..
    But he did do a great job for us as a player and manager and obviously Im not going to forget about that. He turned his back on Bristol City to come and join us in the late 70s and they were legendary times for us. Even Bobby Collins as well played his part with us, we had a lot of connections with Leeds in those days.

Norman Hunter the dirtiest ********* ever to put on a football shirt..

So what Alf, are you looking for a reaction here you sad old man ?

Seriously though as bad as Norman was as a player, Id like to challenge any fan to slag him off if he had come to their club and done what he did with us. (he was ace as a manager at Barnsley regardless of what sort of dirty hatchet man player he was at Leeds).

Quote Originally Posted by Acido
    I know what a dirty hatchet man he used to be Alto, and it was ace seeing Franny Lee tw*at him in that Man City v Leeds match etc..
    But he did do a great job for us as a player and manager and obviously Im not going to forget about that. He turned his back on Bristol City to come and join us in the late 70s and they were legendary times for us. Even Bobby Collins as well played his part with us, we had a lot of connections with Leeds in those days.

He was playing for Derby not Man City.

As for your question about Derby/Clough/Leeds. Yes there was hatred between the two clubs and there is still, to this day. Cloughie did hate Leeds, but I think his real hatred was towards Don Revie. He loathed the man. I know that because he told me. He also told me his biggest regret was leaving Derby. He remained a Derby supporter for the rest of his life.

A nice man really and a lot of his attitude was just a front for the camera.

No,im not looking for a reaction,but like Alto said most Burnley fans remember him for the tackle that ended Frank Caspers career..

And thats unfortunate if that happened, I can believe it where Norman was involved.

Ram, Im surprised to hear you say that about Clough because he seemed to be in his element in Forest's best days. If its true that he genuinely fell out with Peter Taylor over the move to Brighton and wanting to goto Leeds, then thats a real shame.

It is well documented that he regretted leaving Derby and his heart was always with the Rams and not the Red dogs, despite all he won with them.

By the way there are a number of errors and sequential errors in the Damned United, but I still enjoyed it.

Nigel and Barbara (BCs wife) refused to watch it because they say It portrayed BC in a bad light. He never used to swear as much as he did in the film either. Despite that I think Michael Sheen did a brilliant job playing him.

Yes he did fall out with Peter Taylor and that was another of his regrets that he never made up with Peter before he died.

Finally, Timothy Spall made Peter a bit more likeable than he really was. He was a rather moody and baffling character, but brilliant at what he did. The two of them together were a perfect partnership. Both played to each other's strengths.

I dont know what Peter Taylor was really like, but I just couldnt take Timothy Spall seriously in that role, and I thought the same about Stephen Graham in the role of Billy Bremner.

And the film suggested that Brian & Peter made it up when Brian went to him and begged. The relationship between Clough and Sam Longson sounded like a rocky one where he was constantly going behind his chairmans back and spending money they couldnt afford.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast