+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Seasons review (for every team)

A Seasons review (for every team)

There are a number of different clubs fans on here and I bet we all have our own memories about each individual season for our clubs.

Id like to ask fans about every single season but lets stick with the whole decade of the 1970s for a start eh...
    What are our memories and thoughts about the 1970s club and Intl scene. (if enough people bother with this thread then Id like to take it onto the 1980s).

I didnt know about footy until the late 70s, and although it was before my time Im happy to look back now at the great Allan Clarke coming to Barnsley in 1978. And its the same with England, I only remember them/us in the Euro '80 Finals onwards to be honest.

re: A Seasons review (for every team)

My 1st game v Cardiff in 1973 2-2 - in the Town next to the Cardiff Boot Boys, still attending games with the same people and standing in the same spot

League Champions 1971-72
    League Champions 1974-75

Winning the first ever Watney Cup - 4-0 v Man Utd 1970

European Cup semi finalists 1973. Cheated by a corrupt Juventus who bribed the officials
    Beating Real Madrid 4-1 European Cup quarters 1976
    Beating Benfica 3-0 European Cup 1973
    Beating Spurs 5-0 - 1970
    Beating Athletico Madrid 3-2
    Beating Spurs 3-5 FA Cup 1973
    Beating Spurs 8-2 - 1975?
    Beating Liverpool on aggregate 6-0 1970
    Stuffing Leeds and Francis Lee thumping Norman Hunter not once but three times.

Watching the free flowing play of the Rams during this whole decade with the likes of Colin Boulton, Les Green, Peter Shilton, Alan (Gladys) Hinton, King Kevin Hector, Charlie George, Bruce Rioch, Colin Todd, Franny Lee, Archie Gemmill, Roy MacFarland, Dave Mackay, Wee Willie Carlin, Ronnie Webster, Big Roger Davies, John O'Hare, John (Rubber legs) McGovern, Alan Durban, David Nish, Terry Hennessey, Henry Newton, Gerry Daly,

The atmosphere in the Baseball Gr

Jimmy Adamson called the Clarets the "team of the seventies" .. We didnt live up to it unfortunately ..we did win the youth cup though and had some great players..

Good Thread Acido, I started watching Burnley in 1966 and can remember that first season, but I could not remember a lot about the 70's until Alf mentioned the Youth Cup win and after looking at the team photo he's put up I remember some more.

I remember being in the Cricket end watching that youth cup final, I think it was before the seats were installed Alf or Stan will be able to conform as my memory is not good.

Also remember having a great season the year we got to the semi final of the FA Cup with being called the best team after hammering Leeds, we played Newcastle at Hillsbro, I went in an old landrover with an ex brother inlaw and we had tickets in the Geordie end, it was not a nice experience being in with those Neanderthals I can tell you, plus we played badly with Malcolm McDonnald who I could not stand stealing the show, apart from those 2 the rest is a blur although I'd beg, steal, borrow and lie to get to a game in those days.

I wasn't at the Youth Cup final win, but it would still have been terracing Alto (picture for the others to look at, stand behind Jimmy McIlroy)......

The 70's were up and down for Burnley but I got to see two of the best wingers ever to put on a football shirt playing for Burnley, in Leighton James and Dave Thomas.

I remember us invading Deepdale when we were second division Champions and Ian Brennan's thunderbolt away at Anfield to beat Liverpool 1-0 when we were 'team of the seventies' . I went to Hillsborough on the train and we nearly tipped it over when we were all bouncing down the carriages. Like Alto I've hated 'Super Mac' ever since but Waldron had a stinker.

The aggro though .. I was bricked by a Blackpool fan and thoroughly worked over at Middlesboro. Probably lucky to be alive.

We started the decade with such promise but by the end of it we were going down faster than Alto's bus at clocking off time.

My 'team of the seventies' ........

Alan Stevenson
    Mick Docherty
    Colin Waldron (he used to take my money off me sometimes when I'd been in't Hour Glass)
    Martin Dobson
    Keith Newton
    Doug Collins
    Billy Ingham (RIP, he used to ferry me about sometimes. I wonder if he thought I was a bastid Alto? )
    Leighton James
    Dave Thomas
    Frank Casper
    Paul Fletcher

Sorry to leave out the great Peter Noble.

for best atmosphere
    1977-01-29 Swindon Town vs Everton - view external link

Was that played at Weston super Mare Gaz?

Darn sand lol We had a terrible pitch back then but nor as bad as Baseball Ground

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast