+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are we missing the most ?

Who are we missing the most ?

Out of the close season escapees. Toss up between Holt and Reilly for me . Gav gave us a real presence up front , working well with Lyle. He could make any long ball out to be a good pass by latching on to it greyhound like and pushed our play up the park. Also his body strength meant he was no push over for defenders. I didn't really rate McShane so he wouldn't make - for me - much difference this season . Danny was a real hard working player but being a winger, he had good and bad days. Would still have him back in an instant . Burns and McKenna's best days were behind them as injury took hold so again I don't think they would have helped us in this campaign . The young goalie Thomson is a good one so Zanders departure is not as bad as it could have been. Brownlie is a very capable player for me so Durnan was not impossible to replace . Kevin Holt's position has been difficult to get an able replacement it . Marshall has done better than I thought but he is no Holty. What do you t

re: Who are we missing the most ?

Wee Gavin for me who has the greatest potential of the bunch then Danny as he was always an outball which we are certainly lacking at the moment.

It's hard to say who we miss the most as they're all decent players .
    I'll go for wee Gavin though , his pace energy & goal scoring are sadly missed .

Defensively were a shambles. Not that i lay that blame solely on the defence as the protection from midfield is pathetic. McShane who i rated but others didnt is a big miss for me. He was an agile player who closed down players quickly and a better passer of the ball than we have seen from anyone this season. Kevin Holt is a massive miss on two counts. He got us out of trouble on alot of occasions by using his pace to make last ditch tackles in defense. Also a big threat going forward and at speed on the counter attack. Marshall might develop into a player but he is a million miles from it at the moment. Lost count of the times yesterday were we lost the ball and he never tracked back to help out defensively. Doesnt seem to offer same threat going forward either. Mckenna was a good ballwinner which seems to be non exsistent in our midfield at the moment. All 3 a big miss for me. Think Holt though has to be biggest miss.

McShane seems to be the ultimate Queens Marmite player in that you either loved him or hate him so to speak . I sometimes had to remind myself that he was on the park but I respect other people's views that they rated him highly.I very much agree that Holt's tracking back and last gasp tackles saved us countless times . The boy Marshall seems to be a bit stiff legged to do that but has a decent left peg . I am disappointed in Millar because I know he can do better . Dowie and Higgins have been excellent players for us but as I said before, they are starting to fray at the edges . Fair play to Hutton and he deserves to start next week on yesterday's performance.

Obviously we are missing all the players who have left the club, but we have to accept that they have moved on and gone. Unfortunately Mr. Fowler seems to be missing the decisive nature he had last season, and so for me we are missing him most of all.

Why can he not be more positive?

Sadly them all and you could give an argument for them all but because the midfield has been so poor i would take Burns,McKenna or McShane back in a heartbeat.McShane was not everybody's cup of tea and he couldn't tackle a fish supper but he covered the pitch and played his position.McKenna just wanted to win the ball and Magic turned him into a fantastic disciplined player.His presence alone sometimes put the opposition of and he could still anchor our rudderless midfield.Burnsy simply wouldn't put up with the melancholy half bottomed performances from some of those around him.To be fair to Hutton after an uninspiring start to his Queens career he at least won his personal battles and took some care of the ball.Could he play the McKenna role.After yesterday Conroy and again Millar gave precious little and will be lucky to start next week.
    We won't have the luxury of getting any of our former heroes back so the new boys will have to step up and James will have to help them all the mor

Mcshane maybe not the best tackler but he covered ground quickly closing down spaces for the ball to be played but mostly went unoticed off the ball. Its says a lot when the veteran Derek Lyle seems to be the hardest working and most committed player. Could do with a team of Paul Burns at the moment.

Sorry Hurried Snail i was meaning that McShane was good at getting back into position.He did play box to box.One thing Holty,Danny,Gavin and Ian had in common was they had all been at the club for years and had a pride in the jersey.You can't install that into new players overnight.Holty was the lead cheerleader in the midst of all the goal celebrations and first to defend his team mates in a rammy.That was the joy of half of a team progressing through the ranks together.Team spirit and togetherness can take you a long way.

We are obviously missing them all but in defence big Holty (scorer of a great free - kick for the Dees on Saturday) and up front wee Gavin (a 87th minute sub for the Jambos before being red carded) but I personally miss big McKenna in midfield.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)