+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Howaed Kendall

R.I.P Howaed Kendall

Passed away aged 69 very sad indeed to all of us who remember him as Rovers player manager a great couple of seasons at Ewood, Promotion from the old 3rd Div in his first season then so very very close to taking us to the top flight the season after only missing out on goal difference great memories.

re: R.I.P Howaed Kendall

Very sad indeed .
    What a breath of fresh air he was back then. I can still clearly seeing him controlling the centre of the park, whilst managerially organising all around him.
    Great memories as you say, (but lets just put the Swansea goal difference to one side eh)

Howard will have the spelling police on your case Russ,,,,

R.I.P Lovely man !!!

In his first spell, his Everton side was the epitomy of good exciting direct football.. Don't remember his rovers days..

Surprised nobody has mentioned how young he was..

R.I.P. Howard Kendall, think he was the youngest player to play in a cup final when he appeared for Preston aged 17 ..

Great player and manager, great times and football. Fecking ****e now.

I remember watching the 1964 F.A.Cup final which West Ham won by beating Preston 3-2 on black&white television. Tv.s were massive in thickness then,with quite blurred picture quality and very small screens for their size.! Only B.B.C1 & ITV were channels(BBC2 hadnt been started up then!!).Howard Kendall was probably Prestons best player on the day even though he was also the youngest player ever to play in a Cup final at only 17 years old............happy days.
    He later had a successful managerial career with many clubs.most specifically Everton and Blackburn...........

a great player and manager indeed.

Flipping heck Bob, that made me smirk a bit.
    Although I can't recall any great details about the game I believe I watched it on our relatively 'new' magic box, albeit it was not actually ours as it was rented. I am fairly sure that the majority of the humble folk (of which we were one family) were much the same.
    It always seemed to be 'snowing' though didn't it, but all the same magical.
    Then came 625 lines and colour (or is that Color ) and BBC2, good grief where did the time go.
    Maybe still on tick even then, can't exactly recall when we finally managed to buy a new one, but even then 'used / ex rental'.
    Aaah, the good old days eh.
    Status symbols on our street: the first to own a tele, then the first to own a car (not us by the way, as you maybe could have guessed).
    A couple of seasons ago bumped into chap down at Ewood, not seen for a good 45/50 yrs, he was from the family that did both! I seem to recall his dad worked at GPO as a white collar fella.
    Almost royalty in o

One of the best organisers - on and off the field - that I have ever seen, which is why I was only half-joking when I put his forward last year as one of the few people I would have welcomed in the Ewood manager's chair.
    A mystery why he was never selected for England.
    Ball, Kendall and Harvey: surely one of the best club midfield line-ups ever.

They don't call it 'the engine room' for nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)