+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: growing our own.

growing our own.

I am getting increasingly frustrated at loan players coming to our club. Grimshaw Ripley Taylor shouldn't be anywhere near us. We should be developing our own players. We have seen very little coming through our youth set up over the last few years. We have Dom Thomas showing some real promise. Luke Watt looks a confident player but do we have anyone else coming through? Hoping that crags can find some gems over the next year or so.

re: growing our own.

Some merit in what you say but you've picked bad examples. Grimshaw was adequate, but no more. He was still better than most of our permanent signings yesterday. Ripley did not have a bad game, despite being afforded little protection. I agree about Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it
    Some merit in what you say but you've picked bad examples. Grimshaw was adequate, but no more. He was still better than most of our permanent signings yesterday. Ripley did not have a bad game, despite being afforded little protection. I agree about Taylor.
    Exactly folk re getting in a stew about the loan guys but its mcmanus, mcdonald, ainsworth, laing, law and Johnston all signed up players who are consistently sh1te .....

Taylor is never a player rank rotten utter waste.I would rather play Samson than Ripley and Grimshaw the boy looks like he tries all I can ask of him really.

For us to start reaping benefit from our youth system we need people there who know what they are doing. We need decent coaches to bring players on. It's quite clear we haven't got that by the amount of decent youth players we have coming through. For a club like ours to be successful we need to develop our own players on a regular basis. We haven't got the tools for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin
    For a club like ours to be successful we need to develop our own players on a regular basis. We haven't got the tools for the job.
    How do you know? The success of a youth system can really only be measured long term. The success of our current set up won't be known for say 4/5/6 years. What we are witnessing now is the result of mistakes made years ago.

I agree It can only be measured long term.But when was the last time we brought through a player that benefited our first team and made us decent money when selling them on? Probably McFadden about 11 years ago. I know we have sold players on for peanuts here and there, but since we brought through the likes of Pearson Faddy and Hammell we have failed in that department. Leitch has been in the job for a few years now and we have seen nothing of note coming through that will benefit our first team. Dom Thomas is the only player you could say could make the mark but if I'm not mistaken he came from Celtic. For a selling club like ours we need to do better.

The latest was Lee Irwin. Not sure how much we received. But we did get something. Loan players will benefit the club if they can push us up the league or help the club progress to the later stages of cup competitions. So all have failed in that so far. Granted along with the rest of the squad.. Stephen Craigan has one of the most important jobs at the club and i hope and pray he can help the young lads become accomplished footballers. Something we are lacking in the first team squad at the moment.

Another player we should have made money from was mark reynolds. Rangers offered us 1 million plus add ons but we turned it down because we thought he was worth at lot more. God we certainly got stung by that mistake.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)