+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NR on Barker coup and brutality of telling players they're not wanted

re: NR on Barker coup and brutality of telling players they're not wanted

I think that's right, but it's an irony that the first act of the new man us an Ecans-esque cull

I came to post the exact same thing David, or near as. I fail to see how signing premier league kids on youth loans, with zero possibility of a permanent deal when their loan expires, can be viewed as changing the face of Rotherham, or a longer term strategy. As you say, shipping out the existing lot, is Evans esque, even if some do not look up to the task.

At the same time, maintaining a decent academy is big business these days and necessitates that we produce a top talent every few years, to be successful & sustainable.

Stupid decision by NR telling the players affected that they are surplus to requirements before we have signed their replacements.

It's not as though we have got such a massive squad that some of them won't feature in the match day squad!!

If so are these players going to give everything to the cause and risk getting injured when they've been told as soon as we can they are out of the door so need to find new employers?

I understand NR has decided that things need to change but realistically he is stuck with what we've currently got until January because we have to be looking at permanent signings.

Next season the rules change and we will have to adhere to the transfer widows same as the Premier league.

As a result once the window closes next September we are stuck with what we have got.

In essence we have the next 9 months to put a squad together that will firstly keep us in the Championship and secondly we will be left with enough of it in place to do the same next

What choice does Redfearn have though? We have 9 games to play before the January transfer window opens and we simply have to get a decent number of points from them to have any prospect of staying up.
    Consequently the manager initially has to use whatever avenues are available to him and in the short term these will involve loans or the recruitment of players who are currently without a club. I suspect the serious rebuilding will begin after then and will include taking on loan players with a view to signing them permanently
    As for the players who have been told they are surplus to requirements, Redfearn has given no indication of the numbers involved therefore much of the stuff on here is just wild speculation. It's possible that he may have only spoken to 2 or 3 players at this stage which would have no detrimental effect on the size or morale of the squad.
    For goodness sake give the manager a break and let's assume his plans will benefit the club.
    I for one really want him to

Why wouldn't a manager want to bring in new players when he gets a new job? Its not like we're top of league and just needs to keep things ticking over. He's got 2 options, either try and get in some players to try and keep us up this season, or keep what we have knowing full well we aren't good enough (the league table doesn't lie) and go down. It would be evans-like if he did this every year for the next 3 years but to say this after a few games is bonkers. Does anyone honestly think we can stay up with this group of players?
    In my opinion, short term we need quality players in asap to keep us up, then look at things in the summer and try to get the same quality players in on permanent contracts where possible. After that if the same process is repeated then we should decide if he is evans-like or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12