+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jesse Lingard

re: Jesse Lingard

The odd flash of brilliance apart Sterling is yet to inspire me in an England shirt and I wouldn't want to be pitching up in France with our hopes resting on his shoulders. The best winger I've seen in an England shirt in the past 3-4yrs was Andros Townsend, quick, strong, direct and with a good shot and when fit he was showing consistency. Walcott, Sterling, Oxlade Chamberlain and any others have again shown flashes but nobody has made a shirt their own. The 3 sides I mentioned before Belgium Spain and Germany are streets ahead of us and their second XI's would give England problems. We will most likely pitch up with an all too familiar starting line up that is bereft of ideas and quality but we live in hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam
    The odd flash of brilliance apart Sterling is yet to inspire me in an England shirt and I wouldn't want to be pitching up in France with our hopes resting on his shoulders. The best winger I've seen in an England shirt in the past 3-4yrs was Andros Townsend, quick, strong, direct and with a good shot and when fit he was showing consistency. Walcott, Sterling, Oxlade Chamberlain and any others have again shown flashes but nobody has made a shirt their own. The 3 sides I mentioned before Belgium Spain and Germany are streets ahead of us and their second XI's would give England problems. We will most likely pitch up with an all too familiar starting line up that is bereft of ideas and quality but we live in hope.
    Please tell me you're joking about Townsend? He's absolute tripe. Had one good game for England but is yet to replicate anything for club and country since. I'd actually play no wingers if I was picking the England side. 4-4-2

He played a huge part in England Qualifying for Brazil then got injured and missed the tournament. Since then he's not been the same. My point was that he was the most effective winger I'd seen in an England shirt in past 3-4yrs. Nothing was said about his current form and my underlying point is that we are a poor outfit.

I think the Euros is the best chance England has had for the past few tournaments. We have a young hungry squad full of talent.

A midfield and attack of:
    Carrick
    Alli - Henderson
    Rooney
    Kane - Walcott

I think looks really promising. And that's leaving out players like Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley.

Not only that but I think the strength of other European teams is not great. Germany is the only one that I considering world class.

We had a chance in 2010 and were woeful as we were in 2014. Didn't fair much better in Euro 2012 either. Which of those six would make Spain's attacking six? My guess is none and they have plenty in reserve. Belgium have produced their best squad since the early 80's, possibly ever. Lukaku, Mirallas, Hazard, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Kompany, Vertonghen, Benteke, Alderweireld, Chadli, Dembele....
    We will probably start with Carrick, Milner and Henderson. Semi's at best and it's a much weaker tournament.

Also what suggests our squad are hungry? We qualified unblemished from a group,that featured Switzerland and practically no ther notable footballing nation and yet never really looked hungry or convincing. How many English players would make a Premier League starting XI? Previous tournaments have shown that the national game is in disarray from grass roots upwards. We never look to have a settled side, too much experimenting and too many sub standard players getting caps. England are the national equivalent of Newcastle, serial under achievers. Just my opinion like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)