+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A list of players who don't cut it

A list of players who don't cut it

As much as a good manager can get the best out of players, you need a decent level of player in the first instance. I don't think many would argue that the players IB brought in don't cut the mustard, neither do several left from Mcalls legacy.

To rebuild many need to exit, sadly there's not anyone I'd be really fighting to keep. To free up cash and move on several need to leave I drew up a list of those I'd exit. It's frightening but I would quickly exit 14 of our first team squad. Here's a list of those I believe we could easily replace.

Keepers
    Twardzik & Samson

Defence
    Reid, Law, Hammell, Laing,

Midfield
    Lasley, Taylor, Thomas, Leitch, Johnson,

Forwards
    Robinson, Clarkson, Moore, Fletcher.

That's a pretty conservative effort as in truth all could leave and I wouldn't give it a second thought. That's not a knee jerk reaction, simply a fair observation of the utter tosh that we've been served up over the last 24 months.

Players such as McDonald, McManus, Mou

re: A list of players who don't cut it

The only players I would keep are Twardzik, Hammell, Lasley, Thomas, McDonald, Pearson and Ainsworth, and even then the latter three of them are woefully inconsistent but they do provide our only attacking thteat. The rest aren't up to it and need to be punted at the earliest opportunity, but by the time that comes I fear it could be too late.

That's pretty fair. I'm a long term fan of both Hammell and Lasley but it would only be sentiment that would keep them around. The last 12 months have convinced me that both are pretty much finished as first team players.

How exactly do we exit numpties that we have given 2 and 3 yesr contracts too. These guys sint gonna be in demsnd anywhere and they aint gonna voluntarily put themsrlves on the dole. Im jnterested in Clarkson being listed hes not been given a chance, that said we should never have signed him in the first place.

Easy to say which players we need rid of. Amazes me how people would get rid of the most gifted player we have on our books. We rid of 14 so we need to replace them with who exactly? For example we need a left back. I am looking fors of available left backs within our budget.

Quote Originally Posted by allan73
    Easy to say which players we need rid of. Amazes me how people would get rid of the most gifted player we have on our books. We rid of 14 so we need to replace them with who exactly? For example we need a left back. I am looking fors of available left backs within our budget.
    We need several players - although I don't believe we need 14 replacements, we should be able to get 8 replacements for the price of 14. The key point is the 14 are by and large a waste of money and could be replaced by several youngish Scottish players - albeit not easy to replace in Jan when people still on contracts.

Who would you retain from the 14 ?

I reckon going down would cost us the best part of £1.8m and if we dont get promoted immediately the cost doubles. That is how much we should be prepared to spend in January to stay up.

When I say "we" I obviously mean Mr Hutchison and the Well Society. We should pay up some of the contracts of the worst peformers and tolerate the rest for now and sign/loan in some new blood.

I would like to see Lasley and Hammell stay at the club as coaches as both are excellent pros and good footballers and would have a lot to offer. Stevie on SSB last week when asked said he supported Motherwell as a kid. When asked who his favourite player was, he said, without hesitation, Ally McCoist. Marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyG
    I would like to see Lasley and Hammell stay at the club as coaches as both are excellent pros and good footballers and would have a lot to offer.
    How many coaches do we need? We simply don't know how good they would be as coaches. They might be ok and they might not but we can't afford to base on coaching staff on sentiment.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)