+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOLVES & MOLINEUX 1949

WOLVES & MOLINEUX 1949

Unashamedly pinched off The Mix, Thanks (Beowulf, Mercian 1969) What a peice of footage those really were the days!
    See link below......

BTW Those shirts are actually 'Old Gold' ! - view external link

re: WOLVES & MOLINEUX 1949

Simply effin brilliant.

To see the south bank in it's full, unsegregated glory is a sight that would leave even the biggest clubs green with envy.
    The north bank also, I have wonderful childhood memories of that stand.

Nice to see the FA Cup being paraded at the end of the clip, I wonder how many of the crowd that day could imagine we were on the verge of dominating virtually a whole decade?

Except the '53-'54 season of course.
    It was pure luck we won it that year

I managed to watch it last night as i saw the thread on Molineux mix. I'm glad you've put it up on here though Eve. A packed Molineux and a trophy presentation without all the over the top media of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65
    Unashamedly pinched off The Mix, Thanks (Beowulf, Mercian 1969) What a peice of footage those really were the days!
    See link below......

BTW Those shirts are actually 'Old Gold' !

That's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71
    I managed to watch it last night as i saw the thread on Molineux mix. I'm glad you've put it up on here though Eve. A packed Molineux and a trophy presentation without all the over the top media of today.
    Footage like this is pretty priceless. It shows the game as all us 40+ year olds remember it.
    There is little differerence between 1949 and 1979 imo.

Ordinary men who love playing a fair sport watched by thousands who love watching ordinary men playing a fair sport.

Shame it all went wrong.

A great 'find', Eve. Access to some other good stuff as well, with the Doog et al in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf
    Footage like this is pretty priceless. It shows the game as all us 40+ year olds remember it.

Ordinary men who love playing a fair sport watched by thousands who love watching ordinary men playing a fair sport.

Shame it all went wrong.[/quote]

So true Newcy, hopefully the thread will get added to the Sir Jacks section of the forum, threads like this one are worth saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf

Shame it all went wrong.[/quote]

I was taken on the South Bank one fateful evening in May 1976 by my dad Wolves v Liverpool win we may stay up , lose we are relegated and the Scousers win another First Division Title,well the rest they say is History.
    I'll never forget that night I 'lost' my dad for what seems like an eternity that night but might only have been 10 minutes there must have been 60,000 in the groun

Great bit of film, brought back a lot of memories for me. And yes, the sun was always shining.

I might well have been at that game with my Gran who used to take me. We stood in the South Bank at the time, and she used to take a little wooden box, or sometimes a brick, so I could stand on it to see between the supporters. It was common for us kids to be passed over peoples heads to the front. The playing surface was raised above the bottom of the front wall by about four feet, so your head was at ground level. You had to keep alert for stray shots or you took one in the face.

As a child the players looked ernomous, and Bert Williams was a giant in his green keepers jersey. I can remember watching one of the first floodlit games and the Russian keeper throwing the ball out to the half way line, unheard of. I think it may have been Lev Yashin, but it was a long time ago and a lot of water has traveled under the bridge since then.

Great to see the film again and witness the crowds, you did not realise at the time how many were there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)