+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ot Flooding - global warming

re: Ot Flooding - global warming

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson
    Sorry to hear about sawmillers difficulties.

I have to disagree on the idea that global warming is man-made.

We only tend to look at trends in weather going back 100 or so years. Any natural historian will tell you we should look much further back, millions of years etc. These weather conditions that we think are extreme are nothing unusual if we look back to the beginning of time.

The people who are suffering today need help and the government should provide resources. But banging on about global warming being man-made is not the answer. It will result in breeding a generation of hippy con-artists and crooked lefties looking to make a few easy quid.
    They'll be telling us next that man 'really' landed on the moon when we know that was an absolute impossibility back in 69….doubt they could make that happen today either….

Quote Originally Posted by walter10
    Sawmiller - truly awful. We suffered when we had the floods in Rotherham in 2007 so kind of know what you're going through.
    thanks Walter - we are getting good help and there are folk in worse situations than us

[quote="Brin"]Well, here in York the waters are slowly beginning to fall - though barriers to remain until into next week due to the next heavy fall due in the upper catchments on Wednesday. As for my stepson and his family, we now have an offer to stay with friends of theirs so another move out of the Uni beckons. His workplace is also under water at present. Impressed with how people have pulled together here - so many acts of kindness and help. We will go back to the house tomorrow (via a neighbours boat) to collect a few more bits and bobs they need. This will need a whole catchment approach - defences alone will never be enough - we need to slow the flow - time to stop paying for unproductive sheep grazing on marginal upland and plant more woods and reconfigure drains to slow, not speed up, the progression of water off the hills. The defences here in York just mean more grief downstream for smaller communities.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson
    Would love to hear yours as well.
    Re whether global warming is man made - I dont have any strong opinion one way or the other.

I have no way of doing my own private independent research. All I can do is google and read existing opinion to form a view, which, as I understand it, is against mm rules.

I am pleased for you (and Jolly) that you are so certain it is not man made. I assume you have done your own original research to come by your informed conclusion.

I'm just wondering how you were able to do the field work to go back to the begining of time, calculate weather patterns from back then (and other more recent periods) to compare to today? It would be great if you could show your research to help me form an opinion.

IBS- Im from a religious family. I would like to think creation is true. Its during dicussions like these that I find it hard to justify.

Just say that God did created to Earth in 6 days. Humans would have been on the Earth from day 6. On this thread we are talking servere weather patterns going back millions of years which, in some periods, could not sustain human life (and I dont see how we could have competed with dinosaurs btw).

I get the bit that during floods Noah saved all life form in his boat. But there is no explanation for how life sustained the periods of extreme heat and ice?

Check out this link regarding creation

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - view external link

Quote Originally Posted by Adventus2012
    Check out this link regarding creation

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    OK, so a link to a religious fundamentalist site has what relevance exactly?

Just trying to give some clarity to a question raised in this thread actually! It gives a view on creation .... with reference to post 35 if you care to read it.
    Whether it is fundamentalist or not I don't purport to know or care to be honest.

UTM

Tonight - Fulham 1 - Millers 3

come on your reds!!!

[quote="Brin"]Well, here in York the waters are slowly beginning to fall - though barriers to remain until into next week due to the next heavy fall due in the upper catchments on Wednesday. As for my stepson and his family, we now have an offer to stay with friends of theirs so another move out of the Uni beckons. His workplace is also under water at present. Impressed with how people have pulled together here - so many acts of kindness and help. We will go back to the house tomorrow (via a neighbours boat) to collect a few more bits and bobs they need. This will need a whole catchment approach - defences alone will never be enough - we need to slow the flow - time to stop paying for unproductive sheep grazing on marginal upland and plant more woods and reconfigure drains to slow, not speed up, the progression of water off the hills. The defences here in York just mean more grief downstream for smaller communities.

Gone mad in some places, terrible at anytime but this time of year must be a nightmare

Flooding,Homeless, power cuts, bridges collapsing, roads shut off, f**king looters
    Not just England, N Ireland and Scotland have been hit bad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast