+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith's red

Keith's red

Watched the game highlights.
    I'm still in the huff about Saturday. Some thoughts:-
    Did Keith play the ball deliberately?
    What is an unnatural position of the arm when someone fires the ball at you from 10 or less yards?
    Also consider (not applicable in Keith's case)
    What is an unnatural position as you tackle or you jump?
    I am not going to offer an opinion as to the ref's motive for awarding a penalty and giving a red. But I am still in the huff and confused.

re: Keith's red

Keith was given a second yellow not a straight red card. This means that he cannot appeal - an injustice in itself. By issuing him with a yellow card the referee deemed it to be a deliberate handball. Given the circumstances of the distance involved and the speed of the shot I'd say that was an injustice. If you are putting in such a tackle it is impossible to keep your hands close to your sides. In such a tackle his arms would not be in an unnatural position.

In short the referee made a complete b***s up, but unfortunately Keith Lasley and the club suffer.

Thanks Wellup4it. Exactly my view of it.

I’d have preferred in hindsight had Keith got straight red for kicking Dougie Imrie in 'hey-maws' for no other reason than being wee arrogant cheating b’strd

Kicking Imrie in the haw maws is far to good for that wee turd. I would slowly torture that wee f*****.

Can't believe he was in papers saying can't understand why other fans hate him by god if he can't work that out he is thicker than even I thought

Quote Originally Posted by everwell
    Watched the game highlights.
    I'm still in the huff about Saturday. Some thoughts:-
    Did Keith play the ball deliberately?
    What is an unnatural position of the arm when someone fires the ball at you from 10 or less yards?
    Also consider (not applicable in Keith's case)
    What is an unnatural position as you tackle or you jump?
    I am not going to offer an opinion as to the ref's motive for awarding a penalty and giving a red. But I am still in the huff and confused.
    the current interpretation of the handball law really annoys me - players are deemed to have 'deliberately' handled simply because their arms aren't flat beside their body when the ball strikes them. And that's the unnatural way of doing things, no one at all can run or jump like that normally.

Previously the refs used to use discretion on whether a player was taking the *bleep* in waving arms when blocking crosses or shots or if it was just natural momentum, now it s

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil

the penalty was an absolute stonewaller by today's standards and as such I've little complaint about the second yellow.
    Do you agree with the referee's assessment that it was deliberate handball? That is why Las was given a yellow card.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it

the penalty was an absolute stonewaller by today's standards and as such I've little complaint about the second yellow.
    Do you agree with the referee's assessment that it was deliberate handball? That is why Las was given a yellow card. [/quote]

Of course Lasley meant to block the ball with his body rather than his arm but he still had his arm out above his head which increased the area he could block. The referee decided he deliberately created an illegal advantage for himself and subsequently he used that illegal advantage to make the block.

I said in my first reply I really don't agree with the current handball interpretation but that's how referees (I assume under instruction from their FAs) do it these days. Up and down the country there will be free kicks and penalties, with bookings where appropriate, given for much less than what Lasley did so while I think the in

By issuing a yellow card the referee concluded that Lasley deliberately intended to stop the ball with his arm or hand. Irrespective of whether you think it was a penalty or not I remain unconvinced that it was deliberate handball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)