+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Fit You Reading 3

Name:  ssf.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  12.0 KB

Read this out of interest

Basically the author has thought up some ideas he thinks would save our game. He then discusses with his panel of Jocky Scott, Alex Smith, Steven Tweed, Brian Rice, John Blackley among others

It was written in 2012 and nae really great but an easy read and its someones elses opinion. So interesting to hear

Wouldnt it be great if we could fill the stadiums? How could we achieve this, by summer fitba and ground sharing

Wouldn't it be good if we had summer fitba. It would entice more fans, you could sell more summer merchandise,

Wouldn't it be good if we had a NFL draft type set up. Eh fit?

Wouldn't it be good to have colt teams- Lucky that was a later chapter as he championed it. If that was early I would have put the book down

Bin the challenge cup

Not all ideas were bad

A big shake up in training methods at grassroots etc is glaringly obvious

Bigger leagues I agree with too

Pyramid system was needed

Out of everything that is mentioned the only stuff to happen is

Regionalization of the Challenge Cup (he actually suggested the league cup so half right)

Pyramid of Lowland(East of Scotland at the time) and Highland

Introducing juniors but he suggested Ayrshire so almost right.

Grass roots I suppose with Project Brave but its turned out to be a pointless exercise really

All profits from the book went to Prostate Cancer UK so that in my book is a marvelous gesture. so fair play for that

Name:  9781908051035.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  29.4 KB

An ok read

But im mentioning it for his sooking up to r*****s 1872-2012 and how they are not actually that bigoted. Funny more than anything. Actually reckon the author has a soft spot for the deid c@nts

Definitely fancy a steel city derby though

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  14.0 KB

This was a great read. Written by a Uruguayan and translated to English. Almost poetic at times. The history of football told in an unorthodox way. Really really good read

Name:  the wanderers.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  8.3 KB

Part two of Tim Pears's early 20th century trilogy, following The Horseman.

Part 3 oot in short order and already on the to read pile.

Leo's had a bad hiding fae his da after being grassed up by his uncle for his mild social transgression at the end of The Horseman, and is left to fend for himsel. He's been picked up and welcomed into the Gypsy community. Nae trips to Tannadice mentioned, since the manky Jute ****ers hivna been founded yet.

Tim Pears is a ****ing genius.

Another couple of decent books down. Just put 'caught in the crossfire, Scotland's deadliest drug war' back in the cupboard. It's by Russell Findlay about the war between the Lyons and Daniels' families in Glasgow. Exposes just how close some Labour cronies were to these 'gangsters' over the last 20 odd years. Enjoyed the book.

The book I read before that was 'The soldier who came back'. I saw it advertised in the P+J before I came away. 2 soldiers who escaped a POW camp in WWII. The descriptions of some of the places they visited on their route to freedom were brilliant, takes you right there. Couldn't put this book down and recommend it for anyone looking for their next buy.

On to thon chernobyl one that WatsonNimrod recommended a few pages back.

Must admit that chernobyl book was a hard read. Got there the now though and an interesting last chapter about how most of today's nuclear reactors are being built in countries where, traditionally, safety doesn't come high up on the agenda.

Will we see another chernobyl/ ***ushima? Dunno, ask someone else.

Windy as hell down Gibraltar way at the moment as you might have guessed if you've seen footage of the BA flight trying to land so it's a day reading in the van. On to 'mindhunter, inside the FBI elite serial crime unit'

Name:  images (1).jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  6.6 KB

This is nae bad. Fair player when fitba wasnt full of knobs

I liked the fact although he was a gentleman by all accounts he never once shook an opposing players hand prior to a game as he hated the idea of a false gesture
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 26-02-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Name:  images (1).jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  6.6 KB

This is nae bad. Fair player when fitba wasnt full of knobs

I liked the fact although he was a gentleman by all accounts he never once shook an opposing players hand prior to a game as he hated the idea of a false gesture
    I read his recent biography by Jon Henderson. Very interesting. Massive star, always had an eye open for a chance to make some cash, made loads in South Africa, left his first wife for a spy and lived out his life in Malta and Canada. Would never have been part of the Dutch Total Football revolution.

Name:  51HthXhT6DL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  34.4 KB

Championed by Mondo I think

Good read indeed

^^^

Yeah I enjoyed that one and it's one of only a few books that I have I have taken away on my travels to read a second time.

Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast