+ Visit Bolton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stuart Holden Announces Retirement from Football...

Stuart Holden Announces Retirement from Football...

Stuart Holden's long road to recovery has come to an end, after he officially announced his retirement from professional football.

Holden, who joined Bolton from Houston Dynamo in January 2010, made 38 appearances for the club prior to his departure in 2014, during a four-and-a-half year spell which was heavily blighted by a succession of serious knee injuries.

Having become a father for the first time on Monday, to a daughterd Kennady Rose, Holden admits the time has come to 'stop fighting' his body and face up to the reality that his days on the field are a thing of the past.

In an excerpt from a statement posted at ussoccer.com, Holden said: "As I sat down to write my retirement letter, the final chapter of my 11-year career, my wife went into labor with our first child.

"Labor can take a while, but it's the perfect affirmation that I have made the right decision to hang up my boots. I couldn't be more ready - ready for the next chapter of my life, ready to wave goo

re: Stuart Holden Announces Retirement from Football...

Jonny Evans ended his career with us.

re: Stuart Holden Announces Retirement from Football...

A damn shame but a long time coming. Good luck to him in his life after football (as a player).

A classic case of "what might have been"!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)