+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our problems run deep

Our problems run deep

Although MM and the players took the flak today, the club has been heading aimlessly in a downward direction for years.
    During the seasons of notable success in league, cup final, Europe the clubs business plan still meant we lost money, while very little went on playing staff (other than inflated salaries for average players) youth system, scouting or viable vision. The stadium has been mainly neglected. The Well society was launched with the hope that all these things could be improved. These were the Dempster years..
    The club is now run with people, who no doubt love the club and work very hard, appear to be unable to take it forward, in fact it's getting worse. The last 2 seasons fighting relegation prove this. The well society seems to have vanished ( not had any coms in months), our last 2 managers have been poor but the current players do not help them. Our transfer policy has been very much wet finger in the air. The panic default is to sign ex players, none have proven their

re: Our problems run deep

Agreed the team that took us to the playoffs was kept more or less intact, the warning signs and alarm bells were ignored on the euphoria of the playoff wins against Rangers . We end up in a mess because we did not act on the issues that took us to the playoffs. End result Baraclough panic signs a lot of players some not up to the task, he gets fired McGhee comes in turns things around in December with squad he inherited bit can only bring in one player in January. Team is seemingly bereft of lvision and perhaps desire. Our tactics change from playing to win to playing
    Not to lose. That may be in part because some of our defence is aging and can't keep going for 90 minutes. Signing the old boys club is not forward thinking its panic driven as you point out its the infrastructure Youth policy though to be fair takes 3- 5 years for young players to make a breakthrough assuming they are signed as 15-16 year olds so Caffen and Hall seem to have broken through, Thomas has not materialized

Fair point on the youth, there a cpl decent youngsters coming through. In general I believe we are behind other clubs, don't seem to be able to pick players from lower leagues/ local boys clubs that others can.
    This is all subjective and my opinion, but there is nothing going on to tell me my perception is wrong.
    I would love to be wrong, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by andyss1886
    Fair point on the youth, there a cpl decent youngsters coming through. In general I believe we are behind other clubs, don't seem to be able to pick players from lower leagues/ local boys clubs that others can.
    This is all subjective and my opinion, but there is nothing going on to tell me my perception is wrong.
    I would love to be wrong, honestly.
    I am afraid by enlarge you are right. If you consider the number of players we have held onto over the past 5 years or so who should have been long gone epitomizes a long forgotten fundamental that if consistently not up to the task don't give them another contract it will change nothing. The organization must change from the boardroom down.

We are a million miles behind other clubs at the moment. We have guys running the club are clearly out of their depth. We are in the strange position of having an owner who doesn't really want to own the club and the well society is a distraction we could do without because it is a complete waste of time. We flirted with relegation last year and got away with it. If we finish in the play off position this year....and we must be favourites going on recent form, we won't be as lucky this year. It seems we are a club on a severe downward spiral and in my opinion we are destined for the championship whether it's this season or in the near future unless something drastic happens.

Whatever Mark McGhee has or hasn't done he inherited some players who shouldn't be at the club now - Lasley, Hammell, McManus, and Law for example. We also made some poor signings like Chalmers for example. In that respect he's had his hands tied behind his back.

Wellup4it surely McGhee knew what he was letting himself in for when he took the job,but even allowing for the duff players he inherited we should still show improvement in some aspects of our play but we don't 1 We can't take throw ins without losing possession 99 times out 100
    2 No thought given apparently to us taking corners/free kicks appears to be hit and hope method
    3 No shape to our defence when defending corners or free kicks
    4 Appears players are allowed to go where the like on the pitch,as case in point yesterday Ainsworth who is meant to be wide player decided to play through the middle as a centre forward,this guy couldn't make a centre for a doughnut.

Would love to know how many games we have won/lost when Dumb and Dumber aka Johnson and Ainsworth have started a game together this season?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)