+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chalk and Cheese

re: Chalk and Cheese

Dezzer I think it's about perspective regarding PLs dilemma. If it was me I'd pick a good side, go for it but temper that by saying to the players that if we fail, it's what's expected and we kick on in the League.
    It shouldn't demoralize them if they have the right perspective. Technically we're the underdogs and for me, if we try to contain them we'll get tonked.

Couldn't agree more, and its what I would do.
    I think PL's got the acumen to instill into the players that all he's looking for is a performance (to please the support) that's individually and collectively.
    Yes normally a money spinner return would be handy, but one extra game ? Im not so sure about that, as the bigger prize is the aim for next term, and the rewards there seriously overshadow anything that can be gotten from cup replays.
    Its all about the PL (Prem League) 'leap'.

I tend to agree with you - Davhor and Despair - but I wouldn't mind risking just one of our youngsters, as it's hard to see any of them getting a League look-in. I don't think PL is the risk-taking type, though.

I understand the idea of bringing young players in , but has anyone ever seen any of them play . I certainly haven`t so couldn`t really comment on whether they are ready or not . I have seen O Sullivan in glimpses and he is not ready . Lenihan in his few first team appearances looks a player and I`m sure he will cement his place in the side and go on to be a cornerstone of it .

That's what I meant about trusting different managers' judgement, but I sometimes wonder if the current total reliance on "experience" isn't a bit over-cautious. That occurred to me when I was reading the LET article about John Byrom scoring a hat-trick at Upton Park when he was 17, only five weeks after his debut. Football's a different world now.

For example, given their recent records at other clubs, how certain is it that Bennett, Jackson, Ward and Watt are better than players who were already at Ewood? I suspect it's more a case that PL knew these players already and thinks that "experience" is the key factor in a relegation-battle.

The players signed are just that aucks
    tried and trusted ideal for Lambert in what is a battle to stay in this league
    The players in the academy are just not ready temperament wise
    Mahoney:a great deal of potential sadly dosnt do it on a regular basis in the reserves
    which is why he would not be good in a relegation battle he will have to knuckle down if he is to enter lamberts thoughts.
    o Sullivan:mentioned above not quite ready but having signed a contract when Lambert took over he is in his thoughts
    Forrester:another inconsistent player who will have to knuckle down
    mansell/hardcastle:both will be big players to come through just not next season I expect both to be loaned out to a league 2 side for experience.

Unfortunately in todays football the "Prizes" are so substantial that managers are simply afraid to go with with youth and inexperience.

The financial implications of success and failure today isnt simply not winning a cup or a medal its whether a club gains financial stability for years to come or simply disappears down the leagues never to be heard of again.

Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover
    The players signed are just that aucks
    tried and trusted ideal for Lambert in what is a battle to stay in this league
    The players in the academy are just not ready temperament wise
    Mahoney:a great deal of potential sadly dosnt do it on a regular basis in the reserves
    which is why he would not be good in a relegation battle he will have to knuckle down if he is to enter lamberts thoughts.
    o Sullivan:mentioned above not quite ready but having signed a contract when Lambert took over he is in his thoughts
    Forrester:another inconsistent player who will have to knuckle down
    mansell/hardcastle:both will be big players to come through just not next season I expect both to be loaned out to a league 2 side for experience.
    I do understand the reasoning, Robin, but I think it's sometimes faulty. Gary Bowyer, too, preferred the trawl-net approach. That is, drag a lot of players in cheap and hope there are one or two gems among them.

I think in this instance aucks it was more players he knows first hand who have been in the championship and done that
    with bowyer it was more dealing with the hand he was dealt I might add was no fault of his
    lenihan is a massive example of somebody who has knuckled down and should be an example to the academy
    who knows thes I mentioned might just make the grade
    now is the time to show it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)