+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What mistakes has Mel actually made?

What mistakes has Mel actually made?

I'm a little confised at the moment. I keep hear from about all these mistakes Mel has apparently made. But I'm not sure what they are?

Was it sacking clement or taking him on in the first place?

Taking an interest in his investment?

Doing What most of us wish we could?

re: What mistakes has Mel actually made?

Is this a freeking wind up ?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by vanderlaans_header
    Is this a freeking wind up ?!?!?
    VdLH, normally I agree with about 90% of what you write and with very much less of what Rats suggests but on this occasion I feel he has a point.
    What actually was MM's great mistake? Appointing a 'rookie' in the first place or dismissing him eight months later for reasons that remain shrouded in mystery?
    Was it so wrong of him to go into the dressing room and tear a strip off those he has invested a fortune in and appeared to be letting the club down? I have mixed feelings about that one but it's not unprecedented and one wonders about the motivation of those who made that particular visit public.
    Mel's made mistakes, no doubt about it, but not to the extent that he deserves some of the hostility currently coming his way imo.

Not all fans are fickle but some are. I am sure some fans now slating Mel were the same fans singing "he's one of our own" at Pride Park when all was going so well, and off the back of his heavy investment

Apart from some poorly timed PR which was probably just unfortunate, I cant be anything but happy that Mel is investing to make DCFC a club that can challenge at top of table. Unfortunately, in this game there is nothing that can be called a sure thing. Think we have to take deep breath before being so over-reactive to the bad results, the same as we need to pause before getting over-excited by the good ones. Just enjoy the ride. doesnt matter if next year we are in the Prem or Championship, most of us fans will still be there no matter what.

I agree with Rats on this one.

99% of fans in all 4 divisions probably moan that their owners/board do not invest enough in players and do not back the manager in the transfer market. We have fans on all forums complaining that we have too many players and we do not know our best side and Mel has wasted money on some of our squad...........His money I may add. Some people are moaning we have spent too much money..........tell you what lets get the 3 amigoes back in charge and then lets see what they have to say.
    We have recently broken our transfer record twice and as far as we can see Mel has bought who PC wanted so is it Mel's fault that the squad looks top heavy and seems to have lost its way since Boxing day?

I thought it was a good move getting PC in as manager but how often have we come away from games this season disappointed by the performance. If we had been in the top 2 PC would probably still be here but how many of us know exactly why PC was sacked? I can see what M

Morris appointed Clement who was unproven in the role. No complaint about that, could have gone either way. But now he done exactly the same again,that is the mistake. In a few months time he could have sacked 3 managers within 12 months, though I hope I am wrong about this.

Some people seem to despise him, I'd be genuinely interested to know why.

He won't sack Wassall, he will either make the job permanent or put him back as under 21's boss

I too have had gripes with rats over years but he's spot on what has owner done wrong . he made a mistake with clement saw it wasn't working and looker after his investment and corrected it. where do people on this board think investment has come from for players/ academy . remember those who moaned about yanks etc. the same ones who are now sniping at Mel get a grip.

I believe Mel has his next manager in mind and knows that for whatever reason he wont be available until next season. Could be he's in a job that wont walk from mid-season (I hear Rowett is MM's choice, but only rumour). It could be an out of work manager who has yet to finalise pay-off from prior club (eg a Rodgers, Moyes or Pearson) and expect wont be available until those deals are finalised. Or he may genuinely think Wassall is the best man for the job
    For me, and given his statement its Wassall's until end of season, I would bet he has someone in mind for next season, and that someone wont be Wassall
    At same time, throws down a gauntlet to Wassall that says, if you get us promoted, just may be it could be yours longer term

MM may be many things, but he is very astute, and not daft. All this rubbish that he's made same mistake appointing Wassall as when he appointed Clement is just opinion, and without knowing his bigger plan into next season, how can anyone know this is a

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)