+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What mistakes has Mel actually made?

re: What mistakes has Mel actually made?

Not posted or been on here for flipping ages, so hello again all. My view at the time Clement got the job was that the appointment was a brave but calculated gamble. He had never been a No 1, but with proper support both on and off the field, it could have worked. It was inevitable that PC would make mistakes and would to a certain extent learn on the job. MM would have understood that and was going to have to be supportive and patient. Results wise, PC could hardly have done better in the 1st half of the season, but a month after being top, he was given the chop. The first sign of a wobble, its bye bye. It just doesn't make sense. MM knew that PC lacked experience, but there's got to be a lot that we don't know. And Mel has been pretty naive in his public utterances, talking about the Derby way, promotion not a priority etc. It seems to me that he doesn't have anyone inside the club to tell him to button it.

Quote Originally Posted by triz
    Some people seem to despise him, I'd be genuinely interested to know why.
    Despise him.. No.
    Distrust him.. Yes.. At the moment.

My views on what he has got wrong are in the open, no point in repeating.

Perhaps Mel is being diplomatic!

The way I see it, the chairman should chair the manager should manage, unless MM as his uefa coaching badges, I don't think he as any right to go into a dressing room, unless he had second thoughts about the manager????

But I don't hate the fella, but I don't trust him at this minute.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam
    Despise him.. No.

[/quote]If it's simply a case of mistrust then I fully understand, it does all seem a bit shady. But forgive me for thinking your feelings went deeper than that with some of your posts regarding mel.

I think we've listed Mel's 'mistakes' quite sufficiently already. I have been very critical of his poor decision making and I certainly stand by that. But that comes with the territory, he'll know that in the same way that he was probably critical of Lionell Pickering when he was a fan and poor decision followed poor decision.

don't dislike the guy and I have also said that I respect the fact that he loves the club and wants the best for it, which has included pumping a substantial amount of his own money in. For me though, the issue is a concern over repeating those mistakes and time will tell whether his stance over Wassall works or not.

Had we lost on Saturday - which looked likely at one point - then I suspect there may have been fewer jumping to his defence within this thread, such is the nature of football. I'm sure he realises that, he's been a fan long enough to know how this all works. But whilst we can voice those concerns, which is the point of forums like this, i

Quote Originally Posted by woolwhacker
    He won't sack Wassall, he will either make the job permanent or put him back as under 21's boss
    If not permanent it would still mean a 4th manager in 12 months - almost Cellino-like!

Quote Originally Posted by triz
    Despise him.. No.

[/quote]If it's simply a case of mistrust then I fully understand, it does all seem a bit shady. But forgive me for thinking your feelings went deeper than that with some of your posts regarding mel.

[/quote]

I get angry sometimes.. What can I say..

Quote Originally Posted by sixtiesram
    He won't sack Wassall, he will either make the job permanent or put him back as under 21's boss
    If not permanent it would still mean a 4th manager in 12 months - almost Cellino-like![/quote]

It's not 'Cellino-like' at all. Mel can hardly be blamed for the McClaren fiasco, things had gone wrong there months before he took over. He then made one appointment that, for whatever reason, didn't end happily and has since appointed DW as an interim allowing him to buy time to get things right in the summer.
    Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't by some people.

[quote="Ramondo"]I think we've listed Mel's 'mistakes' quite sufficiently already. I have been very critical of his poor decision making and I certainly stand by that. But that comes with the territory, he'll know that in the same way that he was probably critical of Lionell Pickering when he was a fan and poor decision followed poor decision.

don't dislike the guy and I have also said that I respect the fact that he loves the club and wants the best for it, which has included pumping a substantial amount of his own money in. For me though, the issue is a concern over repeating those mistakes and time will tell whether his stance over Wassall works or not.

Had we lost on Saturday - which looked likely at one point - then I suspect there may have been fewer jumping to his defence within this thread, such is the nature of football. I'm sure he realises that, he's been a fan long enough to know how this all works. But whilst we can voice those concerns,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)