+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've been to Reading twice, the first time

I've been to Reading twice, the first time

was from London Paddington, the day Ray Mielczarek made his debut for us. He was seriously unfit and our RB Hudson was carrying a serious injury. In the very first minute Jimmy Mullen beat several Biscuitmen, cut inside and then smashed the ball home from 25 yards plus.

The pitch was very wet and Ray and Chris tired alarmingly. Our future CF **** Habbin then scored a hat-trick and the game was about to end 4-1 when Mullen chested in a corner from the left in the very last second.

Reading 4 Rotherham 2.

The second visit was an evening match in Trevor Phillips' annus mirabilis, 1978. Reading had a very strong team but we were part way through an 18 match unbeaten run. I took a day off work simply because Trev was in outstanding form and simply unstoppable.

The score?

Reading 0 Rotherham 3.

A Trevor Phillips hat-trick. That night I slept rough and then hitched back the following morning to Sheffield.
    Took an awful long time but it was worth it. Trev scored 23 goals that

re: I've been to Reading twice, the first time

Remember both these games.
    The one Trevor Phillips scored his hat-trick, feel sure it was in 1977. Trevor was quick off the mark especially the first 10yds. As a youth I played against Phillips, Alan Crawford, Brecks & Jim McDonagh.
    Not seen TP for a long time, his relative used to have a flower shop in Parkgate.

Like you say Zil Great days....Happy Days.

Relegated Evans given a second season. Funny that . What position were we in when Evans left?

Frank, if you went by car then no doubt everything was fine. But as was often the case, the train from Paddington was desperately late and no station announcements. Eventually it arrived and left about 40 minutes late. I fully expected the driver to make up lost time by speeding up but unbelievably we crawled the whole way. Then, unlike with a lot of towns and cities it didn't have a football ground on its doorstep. Consequently I raced through the town and got there just as Jimmy Mullen was starting his run. Phew!

The final score was a pain but the night game was excellent all round with Trev the star of the evening. One last thing. The first time I took a girlfriend to Millmoor was to see us v Bury. She came from posh Formby and she sometimes went to Goodison Park with her brother. So what would she make of dear old crumbling Millmoor?

It didn't matter a jot as Trev casually crashed two 30 yarders into the Railway End goal. We won 3-0 thanks to an own goal Oh how we beamed. I'm

[quote="Zilzal"]Frank, if you went by car then no doubt everything was fine. But as was often the case, the train from Paddington was desperately late and no station announcements. Eventually it arrived and left about 40 minutes late. I fully expected the driver to make up lost time by speeding up but unbelievably we crawled the whole way. Then, unlike with a lot of towns and cities it didn't have a football ground on its doorstep. Consequently I raced through the town and got there just as Jimmy Mullen was starting his run. Phew!

The final score was a pain but the night game was excellent all round with Trev the star of the evening. One last thing. The first time I took a girlfriend to Millmoor was to see us v Bury. She came from posh Formby and she sometimes went to Goodison Park with her brother. So what would she make of dear old crumbling Millmoor?

It didn't matter a jot as Trev casually crashed two 30 yarders into the Railway End goal. We won 3-0 th

...er. well.. .. under Evans .there was that "dive bomber" from Revell at Wembley....but good point about Trevor Phillips who provided some great entertainment and goals for Millers fans to enjoy

More disappointed with Refearn than Evans really, particularly with Leeds FA cup tie, after seeing the 70's FA Cup ties with Leeds. Thank goodness we didn;t play 4-5-1 back then when Phillips, Bentley, Womble, etc were playing...or treat the game with the enthusiasm of a pre-season kick about. This time around it was a real let down for the Millers fans.

Zilzal....

I have just woken up in sunny Thailand to be cheered by your magnificent posting after a disappointing result( note my improved spelling of dissappppointed)

For a man in his early forties may I say that your viewing of early games is nothing less than remarkable.

I notice on another thread that someone has removed Geeter's stone.........and it's not even Easter.

Zil,
    My memory isn't what it used to be, either that or you were blinded by love at the Bury 3-0 game. I thought Big Dave Gwyther scored as well as T.P.

Went to most away games at S6 can't for the life of me remember T.P scoring 2 against them. Scorers that day were Gwyther, Phillips, and Tommy Spencer and indeed we were 1-0 down at half-time,

Didn't get to Grantham. Did go to Great Harwood for the 6-2 result also went to both Leeds games....happy days

Re the bet on the other thread....double or quits we will score starting this Saturday v Brentford.... obviously we will make several errors & concede a couple & go on to lose the game but hey ho you can't win them all....or in our case we can't win any.

Frank.

Frank, picture the scene. A Tuesday night cup match against Man City. Joe Mercer is token manager, there to try to curb the excessive spending on 'big Mal' aka Malcolm Allison. In City's team are Poland's captain who died tragically young, Kasimir Deyna, Brian Kidd, Peter Barnes of England (PB is newly arrived on the scene and a sensation on the left wing), Mick Channon, Mike Doyle...the list goes on. NOT THERE is g/k big Joe, he's injured and playing in goal is a 6 figure signing from Motherwell?. Anyway he's Scottish so bound to be rubbish. But will we ever get a shot in to test McCann?

Insanely me and my mate have independently arrived at the conclusion that we can give City a game. Perhaps draw, maybe even beat them? The Division 1 team with 10 internationals and us a mediocre 3rd Division side? NEVER.

They kick off attacking the Tivoli and do the routine ball into nowhere in particular. Then disaster strikes. Our g/k freezes, so does our RB. Still they've plenty of time, no

I certainly remember that game zil and as you say was both pleased and seething...also remember the Arsenal league cup game when we won 3-1 ....pretty sure that was super macs last game for the gunners ...but could be wrong

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast