+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Steve Davis be our Manager next season?

re: Should Steve Davis be our Manager next season?

I also believed in keeping Davis in charge for 2 reasons really. The first being that the club's ambition clearly means JC will take the reigns, this worries me tremendously. Secondly is how well he did when he first started here, made early subs, had breakfast club, had yoga sessions and army camps, had inventive set pieces. I wondered and still do: what changed? Davis looks totally devoid of ideas. The team looked beaten before a ball was kicked. Defensively the errors keep coming. Upfront the ideas are no existent as is the movement. I hope the board show some ambition and look to bring in either an experienced manager or an up and coming one from a team on the rise. Trouble is like I said earlier it'll end up Collins

CreweC, seconded. Davis did well at first here, he was always positive and decisive. What seems to have changed is the latter. I can only surmise that the tightening of the clubs purse strings have made it more and more difficult for him and he's lost that decisiveness as a result.

I too do not want to see JC in charge. I've no doubt he's a quality coach, but I do doubt he has the ability to project his authority at first team level. I don't think it would be fair on him either to take the reins with regard to the current atmosphere around the club.

I'm not a screamer and shouter for the head of Steve Davis but I feel that it must be in his interest to leave the job. Unfortunately, I don't think it will make any difference. Having seen the future at Stockport in the Senior Cup I am extremely worried that we are going to continue with this slow thinking, non-moving, slow passing approach for some time. What confirmed it for me was seeing Kirk on the pitch, knowing he likes to take people on, but seeing him holding the ball up and passing square most of the time.
    I probably will get a new season ticket but I couldn't even get angry at the performance yesterday.

The worse thing is the fact the club has shown no fight or interest in trying to stay up. If the club had sacked Steve Davis at a reasonable time, tried to buy some players that could help, get in a manager to try a get us up the table and we still fell short, id still be going home and away, AND I wouldn't mind if we went down, as long as the whole club showed some fight. You can forgive a lack of quality, but you can't forgive this.

If the club tried Id back the team every week, but Steve is still in charge with a 15% win ratio, something like 15 wins in the last 70 games, no action from the board, no signings, no club statements and they still charge us £22 a week to get in and still expect us to buy a season ticket next season. I feel mugged off from my money to support this club and thats why im not going anymore intill something changes.

There is a problem with the previous post. Please, don't take this personally, Alexman, it's the opinion i'm disgreeing with so it's nothing personal. The problem is that this idea belongs to the 'wave a magic wand' school of thought. There is an assumption that making this change is all it needs. However, it should surely be taken into consideration who will succeed. If we don't know the answer to that, then we cannot make bold statements about the outcome.
    Having said that, I suspect that we may get James Collins instead. Are you sure that he will be an improvement. I remember when Steve Holland took over. We all couldn't wait because we were convinced that he could only be better than what we had. Of course, as we know now, how wrong could we be?
    There is no quick fix- we cannot press 'SEND' and watch what happens. Depressing, isn't it? C'est La Vie!
    Not that I'm saying you have to lump it but we need to think about approaches to the problem and see if we can influence things.
    O

It is fairly clear in my view that the next manager will be Collins. And that is one reason why I have not been in favour of a change. Because ,in basic terms, it wouldn't be a change. I have nothing against Collins or Davis. Nor indeed, the board. However, whoever is in charge is going to have to manage on a very stringent budget. I read one post suggesting that we should have sacked Steve Davis and got someone on and a few new signings and the club would have been seen to be doing something positive to arrest the slide. The reason we are where we are is because there is no money. I very much doubt that anyone on here thinks the manager is happy that the team is failing any more than we are. A change of manager would not have brought in any new players. If things behind the scenes are being resolved we may be on a more sound footing but there is not going to be money available to pay the sort of wages Grant was on or that Ajose or Ness would have come here for. So, the old Dario ad

No money you can not be serious! There is loads a money its just spent in the wrong place,guess where that is.

A matter of opinion I would suggest

Quote Originally Posted by gazan
    I'm not a screamer and shouter for the head of Steve Davis but I feel that it must be in his interest to leave the job. Unfortunately, I don't think it will make any difference. Having seen the future at Stockport in the Senior Cup I am extremely worried that we are going to continue with this slow thinking, non-moving, slow passing approach for some time. What confirmed it for me was seeing Kirk on the pitch, knowing he likes to take people on, but seeing him holding the ball up and passing square most of the time.
    I probably will get a new season ticket but I couldn't even get angry at the performance yesterday.
    Just wondering, gazan, was the Stockport game your only viewing of the reserves/under 21s this season? If so, that's unfortunate; they've steadily improved over the season, and I've been very impressed with Alex Morris's interviews too. It's his specific brief to help them realise what they need to do to find their way onto

I have to say Bigroof, that is an excellent comment. Nowt more to be said. Several nails struck firmly on the head!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast