+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memories of each season..

Memories of each season..

Its funny how one season can bring back so many different memories for us all, as we all obviously support different teams. Do fans want to suggest some particularly good or bad seasons for their own team (and lets keep it to one season at a time eh), and see what it means to other fans.

If I can start Id like to suggest SEASON 1980-81.
    This was a successful promotion winning season for us from the old Third Division (which is now League One!). It was my first season watching the Tykes and it was the season when Allan Clarke left us for Leeds and Norman Hunter stepped up from the role of player to player-manager. We fought our neighbours Rotherham for the League title right until the last day of the season, and they beat us to it actually!! But it was promotion as Runners-up for us, and Charlton came up in 3rd (no play offs in those days of course).
    So what does this SEASON 1980-81 mean for everybody and for their own teams on here ?

re: Memories of each season..

A terrible season for us! We got to the 3rd round of the League Cup but got walloped 5-0 by Liverpool at Anfield, I went to that match and Liverpool put out a full strength team and outclassed us. We were down the bottom of the table all season and at the last game of the season home to Brenford we needed a point to secure our survival, we managed a very nervy 0-0 to finish 17th, I still remember that day and at the final whistle there was a pitch invasion by the joyful home fans, I was stood on Stratton Bank that day gaz. We got beat 2-0 at Oakwell on the 20th September but got revenge by beating Barnsley 2-0 at the County Ground on the 28th February, a season to forget for us. John Trollope made his 770th appearance for Swindon that season which spanned 20 seasons playing for us (1960 to 1980) which is still a football league record and highly unlikely to ever be surpassed.

I remember the Blunts going down that season Laz so your point on the last day actually sent them down didnt it! Looking at your results I see after beating us you won only 1 of the last 13 games, so thats why it went down to the wire.
    Didnt you have a young Chris Kamara in your team in those days, I bet he didnt say 'unbelievable Jeff'. We had a love hate relationship with Rotherham's striker Ronnie Moore, we called him a w*nker as well as various others, and he just kept scoring against us, so everybody was happy lol.

Anybody else want to add to this or suggest one of your own favourite seasons ?

I wasnt born then so cant contribute a lot

1923 was a season i remember well. We got within 90 mins of the Cup Final that year.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone what season was my best

Besides it's clocks forward so get to bed you alll

Chris Kamara Chris Kamara la la lalala la

The only other one on there I recognise is Brian Hamilton.

you must remember Kenny Stroud - view external link

No, but is one of them called Glenn Coc*kerill ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast