+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/t anyone not better off than their parents were

O/t anyone not better off than their parents were

We are always moaning about the Tories or any party that happens to be in charge, moaning about minimum wage, low or no pay rises and we have supposedly RECENTLY had a financial crash.

However my impression is that just about everyone has a much better living standard than our childhood family.

Obviously I'm better off as I've jumped from working class to the highest level of the class classification but what about you working class lads.

Some of you have remained working class and are proud of it but talk of holidays abroad, pension pots, second houses and so on so isn't the truth that most if not all of us are infinitely wealthier and generally better off.

Look back at your childhood and look now and there is no comparison is there?

re: O/t anyone not better off than their parents were

My parents generation got given councill houses for next to nothing now they have doubled tripled plus in some areas in price.

Now people can't afford a house nevermind be given one for nothing from the government

Quote Originally Posted by kempo
    We are always moaning about the Tories or any party that happens to be in charge, moaning about minimum wage, low or no pay rises and we have supposedly RECENTLY had a financial crash.

However my impression is that just about everyone has a much better living standard than our childhood family.

Obviously I'm better off as I've jumped from working class to the highest level of the class classification but what about you working class lads.

Some of you have remained working class and are proud of it but talk of holidays abroad, pension pots, second houses and so on so isn't the truth that most if not all of us are infinitely wealthier and generally better off.

Look back at your childhood and look now and there is no comparison is there?
    Maybe we're all better off, and rightly so, and that standard of living has been hard fought for over the years, we're now in a position though that the ruling classes are, and have been for t

Better of financially, but probably not in other areas of life. A teacher acquaintance summed up the parents of the kids at her school as being cash rich, but time poor, implying that they gave their children all the latest cosumer electronics, but little by way of parenting. Sadly, I think that is not unusual.

Wow, one of the few thing I can agree with KerrAvon on.

Worse off re housing, state pension and retirement age, energy costs, public transport costs.... quite a lot of stuff if you stop and think about it

Thanks for your input millmoormagic and well done for taking the opportunity to throw insults my way.

Not sure how that adds to the thread but hopefully you feel better for it.

I partly agree with Kerr over the parenting thing but not 100 per cent sure that parenting skills have deteriorated that much.

The Hi Tech world has certainly brought some problems with it as has ***ualisation of children so parenting is possibly more difficult than when my children were young.

Housing is cited as a major problem but that's due to the British obsession of owning one.
    Maybe renting is the solution!

On the other hand youngsters have tvs, phones, computers,more available money to spend, cheap access to travelling and so on..only a tv was available to me in my childhood.

Too many people moan instead of taking the opportunities that are available.

Dumbing down of educational grading has created it's own problems but that's another thread.

The truth is surely that generally sp

...those what moan about people buying their council house probably never had the chance themselves. Bet there's not many still renting who don't buy for political reasons. When Maggie gave them the chance to buy, it was part of the master plan to get the working class in to debt so if they went on strike they'd lose the house instead of having the rent paid for them. Thousand fell for it and bought them. Most of them still complain about the Tories...hahaha, couldn't make it up.....

Hahaha, grow up Kempo, grow up, there's a good chap...

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic
    Hahaha, grow up Kempo, grow up, there's a good chap...
    Another great contribution...well done!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast