+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/t Junior doctors shame a once noble profession

O/t Junior doctors shame a once noble profession

Juniors are now preparing more strikes, this time endangering lives by withdrawing emergency care in A/E.

They work an average of 48 hours per week or 56 if they have an EU opt out.

Anyone over 50 like myself aged 57 would fing those hours laughable and many self employed people work far more than that and many work weekends at no supplement to thei pay.

If the doctors work just over one weekend in 4 their pay will not decrease contrary to what they are attempting to portray.

Their behaviour is shameful...spoilt rich kids who have been Molly coddled in recent years and don't know what hard work is.

When I joined the profession we knew about and expected the long hours and enjoyed it and felt priviliged to be doing the job.

I note the recent case of the anaesthetist who was so busy during a shift that he managed to spend an hour or so with a prostitute!

Next time I drive past those singing and dancing, placard waving juniors on the picket line instead of honking in

re: O/t Junior doctors shame a once noble profession

Trust is like virginity once it's lost it's gone for good.

The junior doctors have lost that trust.

Wanting more pay but packaging it as a patient safety issue is deplorable.

You're right, trust is fragile.

You've got it wrong though. The government is losing the trust of the public on its handling on the NHS. Could be used as a stick to beat with them come the next election.

The issue is Saturday working... the government was offered a cost neutral alternative option (lower basic pay, increased Saturday pay, no cost increase to tax payer) and rejected it to play politics.

Despite kempo's sad and boring attempts to undermine his colleagues, doctors are one of the nations most trusted professions, and the public is and will remain on their side.

I'm confused John the doctor's say its not about money but about patient safety.

As a result if the same number of doctors, have to work the same number of hours, to get the same amount of pay, why is there a dispute?

I've simplified a complex debate, and different people have different priorities, but the biggest outstanding sticking point is Saturday working.

The problem is some junior doctors have jobs that involve more Saturday working, while others have more routine Mon-Fri type jobs.

Currently, doctors expected to work more weekends get paid more than doctors who don't.

If they make Saturdays pay same as a week day, it disproportionately hurts doctors whose roles involve more weekend work, as they end up working less sociable hours with no incentive (money) for doing so.

If, as the doctors suggested, working saturdays carried a premium, it would be fairer for those that do.

The NHS already has a recruitment crisis. Making it an even less desirable place to work will lead to shortages (which we're already seeing). That's really bad for patient safety. There have also been concerns over the eroding of safeguards that prevent doctors working excessive/unsafe hours in a short amount

Thanks for the explanation John.

Surely this could be ironed out by the specialities that require weekend working paying more that the Monday to Friday type jobs having a different banding or pay structure?

Whilst this may make some specialities potentially unattractive due to earning less pay, it will introduce the ability for doctors to chose what do they value most money or work life balance.

It's not about patients it's about money pure and simple.

Maybe if they were honest about it people would have more empathy towards them.

As for working week ends I often do it's called having a job and I appreciate that I've got one.

haha, excellent reply a123... the current system is a banding system that does exactly that.

The government wants to end the banding. Some jobs with anti social hours currently are banded at 1.5x basic pay as they work so many anti social hours.

The government tells the public that they're offering a pay rise to basic. But those with anti social hours would have a massive pay cut. Those who work social hours would get a big pay rise. Its just unfair and would make it really hard to fill jobs with anti social hours, and hurt patient care.

Its not about money, as the proposal was cost neutral, just give people working Saturdays more, and basic pay lower.

It's about money don't be fooled by troll wiki bites

"I've simplified a complex debate"

Just for you thick people out there.

Staggering arrogance

if its not about the money can they not just distribute anti social working hours evenly between junior doctors' contracts then everyone is in the same boat where they are all working the same amount of anti social hours.

if some doctors are working mainly normal weekday hours then surely a lower basic pay will result in a pay cut for them?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast