+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match analysis

Match analysis

Without having the luxury of watching the recording, may I be so bold as to make the following points:
    Firstly a huge congratulations to the entire squad for battling back to earn a point against a good Falkirk side, and well done to Mr. Fowler for his timely substitutions which completely turned the tide against the odds. However, like many times this season it didn't have to be that way!

When Muirhead set himself up for that long throw, - I had only just finished saying "watch the long throw" as the free header was planted easily into the net. The defence went to sleep and gifted Falkirk that goal at a critical time. As has been said many times we must defend throw-ins much better and take advantage of any throw-ins given to ourselves. When the players watch the re-run, they should be acutely embarrassed by how easily Falkirk were given that goal. For goodness sake, if a player sets himself up for a long throw, - then defend accordingly!

The second goal was even worse as

re: Match analysis

OK jardi, I'll join the debate and disagree with a couple of things you say, but not to be critical of your very valid points!

I think in the modern game players have to be willing to accept passes even when under pressure in dangerous areas of the park. Whether Queens have the players to do that this season I don't know, but I think that it has been a major factor in our success of the last couple of seasons that we have had players capable of doing this.

As I sit next to you in the stand, I know at least one of the times you wanted Thomson to release Lyle, and I would agree with Thomson that he was right not to launch the long ball and instead keep possession. It actually prompted me to say in my match report that our "whole left side had disappeared", yes Lyle was in a good position, but there wasn't another Queens player within 20 yards of him, so I do think Thomson was correct on that occasion.

To finish, I have now had the luxury of watching the highlights, and have to

Cheers Stuart! I think you are absolutely correct with regards to the ref, - he made several quite astonishing decisions especially early in the game. Hilson should not have been booked because he was not "challenging" the keeper and was actually running away when the keeper tried to throw the ball out underhand and it clipped Hilson's boot.
    There was also a booking for a Falkirk player that should never have been, - and both cards should be appealed and rescinded.

Sadly Murdoch deserved to be booked for his stupid manhandling of Baird, - which once again meant that he was in danger of being sent off for any later miss-timed tackle.

What about the time the Falkirk player was accidentally caught by Lyle (I think) and the ref allowed play on, but the Falkirk player placed the ball and took a free kick even though the ref hadn't blown his whistle! That technically should have been a foul to Queens, but the ref just allowed Falkirk to carry on, - to me that was tantamount to s

Actually I was disagreeing with you about Thomson kicking long to Lyle :-). I agree that it can be a valid tactic (McDonald setting up Dobie for the first goal against Dundee, overshadowed by later events but pure class!), but on this occasion Lyle didn't have a team mate near him. 10 minutes later with Russell to suport him it would have been the perfect option.

Stuart, - having had the chance to watch the edited highlights, I thought both our goals were top drawer. How Del managed to squeeze the ball passed all those defenders is a miracle, - and if it had been a Rangers or Celtic player, - that goal would have been replayed 100's of times! The passing and one touch football on the deck for the equaliser was also quite superb.

Having seen the replay, HIlson definitely attempted to stop the underarm throw out - so he was right to be booked.

The marking for their first goal was truly abysmal and our defence simply went to sleep. Did they not think Muirhead could throw that far?

Our defence had a clear opportunity to get rid of the ball before the 2nd goal, but once again chose to play the ball to people who were clearly under pressure, and Baird ultimately said thank you very much!

We were fortunate not to concede a 3rd goal, when once again our defence gifted the ball to the Falkirk later in the game.

The penalty incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEFj3AV0hCw
    - view external link

check the link out above ,no way hilson should have been booked ,if a goalie has the ball in one hand is not deemed to have full control of ball and also he threw it out his hands in a attempt to pass and hilson was perfectly within his rights to be first to the ball .

I can't open your link but its an interesting call.

As I understand it, an attacker cannot deliberately prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball back into play, - and I'm old enough to remember the audacious attempt by George Best, when he flicked the ball from Banks (I think) and scored.
    My initial interpretation was that Hilson had not attempted to block the underarm throw and that the keeper inadvertently hit Hilson, - but clearly our striker made an attempt to block the throw.

Regardless, it does seem a harsh call by the referee to book Hilson and if the law does not state that a booking is given for blocking the throw, - then it should be questioned.

I suspect the club, or soemone will know the answer to this particular conundrum.

yes the link i posted was crosby scoring after heading the ball out of dibbles hands for notts for against man city ,holding the ball in one hand the rules say the keeper is not in control of the ball .

there jardi iv put the link in the propper place ,so you can now open it if your on something other than a pc lol .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)