+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's next then ?

re: Who's next then ?

Intelligence is learning from one's own mistakes: genius is learning from other people's mistakes: insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, which is exactly what football clubs do when it comes to appointing a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi
    Stuart McCall and Jackie McNamara would both be potentially excellent candidates, - but I think we should allow the BOD to make their own minds up, - once they've had an opportunity to assess the applicants properly.

Don't worry folks, I'm pretty certain that they'll be looking to appoint a safe pair of hands who can guide us to a minimum of at least 4th spot in the league, with extended interest in all cup competitions.

If they're not - then they certainly should be, - because after all that's where the real money is for reinvesting in the club.
    Cloud cuckoo land.

And your point is Sane Man? Apart from drawing me in to ask the most futile of questions.

Can't see why we would want to appoint managers off the back of failures. I know Killie did it with Lee Clarke but I wouldn't say that's been a resounding success. McNamara looks about to fall off the end of the English League world. Oot o' the warld and intae Palmy! No thanks.

How about ex - players Scally, McFarlane, Brian Reid. Would not be surprised if one or more of them
    put in their application.

is allan johnston not out of contract atm ,we can always offer what we can afford and see what happens ,dunfermline will prob offer him new terms but no harm in giving him something to consider .

@jardi: It doesn't help to have unrealistic expectations. There is no chance of getting Stuart McCall. He'll be next in line for the Dundee Utd job. I believe he wasn't even interested in the Killie job so there's no way Queens would be able to attract him.

McNamara has a high opinion of himself and is unlikely to consider Queens. Even if he was available and interested i wouldn't want him at the club. He sued Partick for his Championship/promotion bonus despite leaving the club halfway through the season. There was also that issue with his contract at Dundee Utd. I liked him as a player but i'm not endeared with him as a man.

@Francis: Dunfermline are a bigger club and have larger crowds. I suspect he'll want to remain at the club for continuity. He won't want a reputation as a journeyman manager.

PS. I hope we don't go back in for Barry Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by nithvalley
    I really don't understand why some people - deek et al - think that because you are a young Manager you don't have contacts in the game. Senior players have obviously been around the game for years and will have worked under several Managers and Coaches. The importance of these 'contacts' is , I think, grossly over-stated.

The Board's last three appointments have been very good so I will leave it to them to come up with the right man.

For the benefit of those who wish to speculate, read on.

York City could be relegated tonight but certainly will be at some point meaning that Jackie MacNamara will most likely be looking for a new job very soon and for an opportunity to rebuild his reputation.

Well Fowler didn't seem to have any!

It's not just about contacts. A manager with a good reputation and coaching style can persuade players rookies might not.

I just think we need to aim for a safe pair of hands at

Quote Originally Posted by CptQueens
    Completely left field but why not someone like Hope Powell? Much more qualified than the likes of Fowler, Skelton etc as she actually has her UEFA Pro License.
    Hope Powell ? Are you for real

Thank you Sane Man, - that makes all the difference!

You've raised some excellent points.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)