+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ched Evans appeal

re: Ched Evans appeal

If I had been raped and presumably traumatised by such an event, the last thing I would be doing is going to a house party the weekend after and sleeping with a random guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest
    Your example of the comma/ full stop is weak though
    It wasn't a real example, just hoping that it isn't some clever pin striped b'stard picking a hole in the process. As I recall all the facts of the case were accepted by all parties, with the womans capacity to be give knowing consent being the only question in dispute. it will be interesting to see the new evidence and what it changes[/quote]

I understand. Your point was about technicalities. You, I and Evans are supposed to know the law. Some PC or CPS lawyer should as well, more so for obvious reasons. Would you deny Evans, or anyone, an appeal because someone didn't do the paperwork correctly? There is a process. It should be followed. If it's not followed correctly then the whole thing is wide open to abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by levelerblade
    re trial at best
    Not necessarilly

A retrial may be requested by the prosecution, but may be turned down because he's already served his sentence

"Three Court of Appeal judges will announce their decision in the case following appeal proceedings last month. If he wins the appeal and his conviction is quashed, prosecutors say they will seek to retry him on the same charges. However, it is not clear whether the judges would grant a retrial in the case, because Evans has already served more than two years in prison."

[quote="Holden_C" it's not been a good time for her recently.
    God knows what the Cleopatra lookalike ( her words) will do if the conviction is quashed. [/quote]

Unbelievably bad luck. How many more crimes against women are we going to find out that she has personally suffered? Really commendable of her to share her experiences just to help out Lily Allen.

With all the suffering she has had at the hands of men I would say it might be time for her to review how she can better keep herself safe but like she says no man is going to stop her enjoying her own life. No man. Apparenty they even tried to stop her going cycling in the sunshine but Hatchet was having none of it. Let's hope she get's the help she clearly needs fairly soon

So you hope justice is done,as long as Ched doesn't get the appeal overturned

Very many Lawyers carefully craft smoke and mirrors,why shouldn't Cheds legal team,if it best serves the client?
    No Blocky, thats not true. If the new evidence is substantive and compelling then he should get his appeal. When this case came up, I took time to read the transcript and the law and it isn't hard to work out why he was found guilty. For all the people who haven't understood any of it and trot out the 'well I don't think he's guilty so he can't be guilty', just take a few minutes to understand WHY he was found guilty. It is plain and simple, and I'm not going back over it, in case you were wondering. For the last four years all I've done is to point out that he was found guilt and convicted which so many people seem to want to deny, because he was only being a lad, or he scored lots of goals

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C
    It wasn't a real example, just hoping that it isn't some clever pin striped b'stard picking a hole in the process. As I recall all the facts of the case were accepted by all parties, with the womans capacity to be give knowing consent being the only question in dispute. it will be interesting to see the new evidence and what it changes[/quote]

I understand. Your point was about technicalities. You, I and Evans are supposed to know the law. Some PC or CPS lawyer should as well, more so for obvious reasons. Would you deny Evans, or anyone, an appeal because someone didn't do the paperwork correctly? There is a process. It should be followed. If it's not followed correctly then the whole thing is wide open to abuse. [/quote]

Just as there are accountants who help you not to pay the ta

I understand. Your point was about technicalities. You, I and Evans are supposed to know the law. Some PC or CPS lawyer should as well, more so for obvious reasons. Would you deny Evans, or anyone, an appeal because someone didn't do the paperwork correctly? There is a process. It should be followed. If it's not followed correctly then the whole thing is wide open to abuse. [/quote]

Just as

He's had his conviction quashed but now has a fresh trial FFS

The saga continues, I bet the re-trial will be late next year, meanwhile technically and legally speaking isn't he an innocent man? Of course we shouldn't sign him....yet.

Edit: Sky reporter said it's not completely quashed and the re-trial will take place relatively soon

Its like a never ending feckin saga.

Where will the trial be held i wonder.

RETRIAL!!!!!

Get in!!!!!

Where will they find a Jury that has not been tainted one way or another by the constant Ched hate in the media etc.

First step back for Ched - good news for him and for common sense

Quote Originally Posted by CHIPBUTTYBLADE
    Where will they find a Jury that has not been tainted one way or another by the constant Ched hate in the media etc.
    This, exactly

All the old sh!t to be stirred up again,expect another online petition from Jean Hatchett,Auntie Nina on Good Morning etc etc FFS.

don't think it will be as bad this time round - these nutters surely lose momentum over time

Great news but to think it'll be back in the hands of a f**cking jury is slightly gut wrenching.

Let's have him in for training in the meantime anyway.

Got to be re-tried within 2 months according to this,and it will be held in Wales.

Like i have said before where on earth will they find a new Jury in Wales that has not heard of this saga or got an opinion about it already.

How does a retrial help anyone? The victim is now going to have to go through the whole trial again, if she changes her story and now remembers what happened in that room will she be charged with perjury? if he is found guilty again it is unlikely that his sentence will be increased, being found guilty or innocent, in the minds of the people and in the press he will always be "Ched Evans, ex-rapist"

Is McDonald involved in this retrial? Or is he just a witness (presumably for the defence) now? If it's the latter, you'll have a hard time convicting when a witness can say that he heard the woman consent, and that she was in a fit state to do so, surely?

Not convinced there will be a retrial. Be interested to know if Team Chedwyn have any avenues to go down to challenge the 'interests of justice' finding. His solicitor's statement seemed to hint at something like that.
    Finding an untainted jury's going to be a challenge as well but most of all struggle to believe the woman involved could put herself through it all again.
    If there is a retrial though, not sure that's going to play well for Evans's hopes of a speedy return to football given the strife it'll cause.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast