+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goalscorer

re: Goalscorer

Fair enough, because, of course, the players who scored 40 goals weren't part of the team.

[quote="AucklandRover"]I don't know what's best here. Perhaps we haven't given Gomez enough time, but he does remind us of what happened with Danny Murphy. If we could find another Cairney, even, it wouldn't be so bad, and HE was inconsistent.
    I honestly don't think it's a goalscorer that is the main problem. After all, Rhodes and Gestede got 40 GOALS between them. I also feel the defence is generally ok (and has been since the start of the season).
    No, what we need (and what we have needed for years) is another Dunny (at his best). That is, someone who can become a commanding figure in central midfield. That person needs to be a natural leader, a tireless runner, and an excellent passer. Ideally, he'd be able to tackle a bit too. (How old is Gordon Cowans?)
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what we were expecting with Murphy!
    All the same, it is hard to expect one of our youngsters to step straight into such a role.
    Perhaps we could employ Gary Bowyer to do

I don't think bentdner will command 35k a week now, he's reputation has taken a battering similar to danny graham before joining us(and that hasn't worked out too bad)

I think what Sven is getting at is the obvious flaws we had seemed to be brushed under the carpet
    40+goals between 2 players and we finished worse off than the season previous
    We should of at the very least secured a play off place.
    on to the original post if that is the sort of player we should aim for then we might as well pack up now
    we have had countless mercenaries at this club do we need another?no thanks
    we are on the verge of being completely reliant on the youth to field a team next season
    no money low expectations and possibly Damien Johnson as manager
    be very hopeful for the best but expect the worst.

I really wish it was football by numbers. 2 players 40 goals simple equatiion - promotion?
    Have Derby spent millions upon millions upon millions? Darren Bent? He scores 20 plus goals in the Prem. Surley Derby would just turn up and win the league? And yet Burnley (the 1st time they won promotion under Dyche) managed to win promotion having started the season fav's to go down?
    Leicester spent million every season trying to get up, and failed. It was only when they broke the FFP rules they managed it.
    We had 2 players who scored goals, but the defence was awful, the keeper was average, the midfeild not good enough, and the wingers not consistent. And the two guys up top could not play in the same side, as the rest of it suffered. Hence we missed out (by goal difference) on the play offs by some better sides, who had spent alot more than us.

Come on Sven, you have clearly followed football for long enough to have figured this out. 2 players dont make a team. When we had Garner,

Garner never scored 30 plus goals at any point in his career. Very much a 10-15 goals a season man mostly, which was decent going in some very poor rovers line ups.

Champs it wasn't the fact our team overall was poor but the fact very little was done to correct the obvious flaws
    in simple terms our defence leaked as much as we scored hence why we missed out
    this didn't happen overnight for Gary it was the past 2 seasons
    oh and by the way the season we had the 40 goal strikers we were mid table and 10 or so points short of the play offs.

It was blatantly obvious our 2 centre backs were massively to blame for the majority of our points lost
    Duffy and Hanley were accident prone and to make him captain was laughable
    we were even prepared to drive him to sign for BURNLEY
    now I am fully aware we are alot better this season defensively all thanks to a vastly improved Hanley however bowyers staunch loyalty to that pairing could of cost us a good chance of promotion.

In Bowyers first season, after he came in for Berg, we missed out on the play offs, on goal difference, with a side containing Gestede and Rhodes.

Sax, the side Garner played in no different to the one we have now in the same division.

So why wasnt all the managers sacked around then? As thats what is being asked now?
    Nobody is saying Rhodes and Gestede did well scoring 40 goals in an average side, like you did with Garner?
    This makes absolutely no sense. It smacks of spoilt fans demaning things that are simply not fisable.

ha ....sax ....I actually had to go and check about Garner! I only ever saw his final days at Ewood, and was shcoked he never scored more than 20 goals! I actually like being wromg and admitting that, as I have learnt something new there. Think I'm going to shut up now!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)