+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who would you keep

Who would you keep

The end of the season is nearly upon us and likely some players will be moved on. Who would you like to keep? For me we have a decent spine to the side and the following players I would keep for definite are

Atkinson, dowie Higgins, Marshall, Miller, tapping, Hutton, lyle, hilson, hooper, Oliver, Kidd.

Players I fancy will be moving on

Brownlie, Thompson, Harris, Murdoch, pickhard, Jacobs, Russell ( heard a rumour Dumbarton is beckoning),

For me the side is screaming out for a right back, another centre half, goalkeeper as I fancy Thompson won't be happy with being dropped a few times, two wide players and another striker. Any thoughts?

re: Who would you keep

Pickard signed on for another year at least a month go plus Murdoch and Harris are not Queens players

In considering which players you would like to be retained keep in mind that only Alloa and Dumbarton lost more goals than Queens: even Livingston who may yet be relegated leave lost four goals fewer than Queens. That is surely an indication the Dowie and Higgins must be replaced: and it probably goes without saying that Brownlie's has proved to be not good enough (although all the blame for our poor defensive record cannot be piled on his shoulders).

Firstly neither Harris or Murdoch are Queens players so we have no say in their future. Tapping certainly has potential but has severe question marks against his ability to avoid injuries but again that will have to be assessed by the medical professionals. If he can get an injury free run then we must stick with the lad. Russell can still be an impact player as demonstrated yesterday and Lyle, bless him, is still our best finisher and top scorer so both would be worth keeping for another year.
    Miller is so frustrating as we can all see his undoubted ability but Conroy does not deserve another contract as he just doesn't give enough. Brownlie is time bomb in too many matches and should be let go unfortunately.

Sadly our captain has let us down too often this season. For me I would definitely let Higgins go, - there were some games where he just didn't seem interested never mind passionate!

Young Jordan Marshall by comparison ran his socks off for the club, - and he will be even better than Holty when he gets to his age. Why? I hear you ask; because you have to remember Holty wasn't a fixture when he was Jordan's age and he was playing in a lower league at that time!

Queens have the nucleus of really good squad; as has already been mentioned if we add a right back, bring back big Durnan in central defence, find a strong midfielder preferably with McShane's ability to spray passes around, - and a big strong striker to lay the ball off for Oliver, Smithy and the rest, - we'll be laughing!

I liked our team this year when we played positive football and I'm in JR's camp on this one. The goals we lost were more often than not due to a mixture of crass stupidity and laziness by playe

Total garbage re Higgins and Dowie. They have been carrying the defensive line all season!!
    No right back and a one man midfield. No wonder they have struggled.

No height in the team either! These two always seen to come in for unfair stick when the chips are down.

Higgins has a clause in his contract to stay on next season.

Feel like a broken record, but I don't get this "we need a right back". In the 2 games recently when Lewis Kidd has been dropped, when he has been brought on in the 2nd half, it has been night and day! Lewis Kidd would be pretty close to my player of the season, and in Scott Hooper we have a fairly able deputy, so I don't think we need any more right backs. Thomson is a very promising young keeper, and far from being "dropped", I'd hope he will realise that with hardly any reserve games these days, Jim Atkinson has to be given a chance sometimes, and there has to be some rotation there. I had my doubts about Dowie after the 5-1 Rangers defeat, but he has come back well, defending is a team game, and I don't think it is fair to just blame the defence for the number of goals we have conceded, I feel the help of a McKenna or McShane in midfield has been badly missing, and a holding midfield player should actually be top of our list.

That's a cracking post Stuart, which does illustrate what we are missing in midfield, - as you suggest a strong McKenna or a defence opening McShane, - or preferably a combination of the two!

Add to that a tall strong striker and a manager who tells Higgins what he wants, rather than the other way round, - and we'll be a far stronger side.

I'm still of the opinion that we're not that far away from a really good side with what we've got at the moment. All we need is: some positive motivation; to eliminate stupid mistakes in defence and a desire to win matches at all costs and Queens will be there or there abouts come next April.

Completely agree here and why bringing Johnstone back in as Gaffer would be huge...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)