+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retained list

re: Retained list

It is understandable that Ray would have had his contract extended. One of ours, under 21 international, and decent on the ball. However, his ratio of dropped clangers per game is too high and although I don't expect him to move during the season, I expect him not to be kept this time next year unless he totally eliminates the errors. Saying that, I guess they may listen to offers for him. Just can't see any offers!

[quote="Furberstreet"]Like others, I am surprised that Baillie and Brown have been released. Given the shortage of full backs and goal scorers, surely another year of development would have been worthwhile? Otherwise, the correct players have been released.

Pity that Ray's last year of his contract has not been paid off. He has not improved over 3-4 years of first team football and is always a serious error about to happen. Surely Guthrie and Davis will be the first choice centre halves next season, though Nugent had better stay fit because Davis won't. .

One question I do have is why is SD talking to Inman about a new contract? He has hardly broken sweat since we signed him and has proved to be utterly disinterested throughout the majority of the last 2-3 seasons. He has been one of the club's top salary earners and has earned very little of his money.to date. There is no doubt that, if he could just knuckle down and play to his ability, he wo

I wonder whether Inman's international call up (thoroughly merited on his recent form - NOT!) will prove to be a better selling point for his agent?

The official website refers to Inman's "stellar season". Obviously, in an alternate universe, Crewe win the Premier League thanks to Inman's goals and Leicester are relegated from League One.

I know they had different end dates to their contracts, but I think it's a pity that Baillie couldn't have had at least a six month extension (under the 'he was good for a few months the first time and deserves a second chance' rule). I would also like to have seen a certain CH being made available for transfer, although I don't reckon there would have been a long queue beating down George's door. Compared with James B how many chances does this fella need??

Other than that, predictable list - let's hope the manager can find a few better signings (loan and permanent) before the end of August, cos under the new Loan Market rules, that's it until January - and if he doesn't get it right he'll be leaving a right mess for his successor.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex
    I know they had different end dates to their contracts, but I think it's a pity that Baillie couldn't have had at least a six month extension (under the 'he was good for a few months the first time and deserves a second chance' rule). I would also like to have seen a certain CH being made available for transfer, although I don't reckon there would have been a long queue beating down George's door. Compared with James B how many chances does this fella need??

Other than that, predictable list - let's hope the manager can find a few better signings (loan and permanent) before the end of August, cos under the new Loan Market rules, that's it until January - and if he doesn't get it right he'll be leaving a right mess for his successor.

It'll be interesting to see how the new loan rule pans out. Both clubs in the arrangement will have to be that bit more careful; also, clubs with a bigger budget won't be able to take anyone betw

Quote Originally Posted by bigroof
    I think most people were surprised/disappointed by Baillie's exclusion. Maybe he never was the same player after that Dean Lewington challenge, but I suspect there was more to it than that.

I have always had, and will continue to have, unwavering support for this club, for the way it is run and by whoever runs it. However I don't mind admitting that even my support has taken quite a hit over the retained list. Every time I saw James Baillie, I thought "this lad will make it!" - and who knows, he might still. It just won't be with us. I didn't witness the "assault" by Lewington but I find it hard to believe that, and only that, was the cause of his subsequent demise. I agree with bigroof - there must have been more to it than that. I remember watching the FA Youth Cup tie at Reading - and 2 players stood out for me. James Jones, captain on the night, and I predicted then that he will follow the likes of Toots and Murph and captain

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe
    I think most people were surprised/disappointed by Baillie's exclusion. Maybe he never was the same player after that Dean Lewington challenge, but I suspect there was more to it than that.

I have always had, and will continue to have, unwavering support for this club, for the way it is run and by whoever runs it. However I don't mind admitting that even my support has taken quite a hit over the retained list. Every time I saw James Baillie, I thought "this lad will make it!" - and who knows, he might still. It just won't be with us. I didn't witness the "assault" by Lewington but I find it hard to believe that, and only that, was the cause of his subsequent demise. I agree with bigroof - there must have been more to it than that. I remember watching the FA Youth Cup tie at Reading - and 2 players stood out for me. James Jones, captain on the night, and I predicted then that he will

Somerset has woke me up so may I respond?

I'm sad to see anyone released as it must be hard as what they do next but it has to be unfortunately. We have to remember that millions have been spent on these youngsters over many years and so is it possible the kids coming through are really not up to standard and should not have progressed year on year and discarded or they weren't because we have an academy full of coaches and so what else were they going to do if only one or two were good enough?

I don't think the Board has realised the game has moved on and they cannot see that the PL have money to burn and have their own Cat1 academies and dozens and dozens of these kids will never make the grade at PL level but could be OK for L1 and L2 and we can see them here and now and how they cope physically with the game which you can never do when they are aged 5-15 etc. Its why it really is a waste of money for clubs like ours when we are starving the first team year on year. De

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB
    .... I didn't know Brentford have ditched their academy? Is that just a downgrade or doing away with it all together, like Vale have done?

I read the story in Friday's Times.
    I've just polled Brentford online to see if I could find the story elsewhere - and found the link below.
    Ok, maybe not to ditch it altogether as I first thought - but pretty much! ....... "to focus on developing an elite team for 18 players, aged between 17 and 21".

If more clubs decide to go down this route, it could have a profound effect on football in this country.
    Of course it could go one of 2 ways - either the original academy idea will become yesterday's news, today's chip paper and will die as (I think) Mike is suggesting ...........OR ...........for those clubs who wish to persevere with it and not just follow suit, maybe just maybe they will get greater access to the 7 to 16 yr olds out there, a bit like we used to.
    The seeds of change

[quote="MikeSB"]Somerset has woke me up so may I respond?

I'm sad to see anyone released as it must be hard as what they do next but it has to be unfortunately. We have to remember that millions have been spent on these youngsters over many years and so is it possible the kids coming through are really not up to standard and should not have progressed year on year and discarded or they weren't because we have an academy full of coaches and so what else were they going to do if only one or two were good enough?

I don't think the Board has realised the game has moved on and they cannot see that the PL have money to burn and have their own Cat1 academies and dozens and dozens of these kids will never make the grade at PL level but could be OK for L1 and L2 and we can see them here and now and how they cope physically with the game which you can never do when they are aged 5-15 etc. Its why it really is a waste of money for clubs like ours when we are

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast