+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concert Cancelled

Concert Cancelled

Saw this coming. Hope the club had a good get out clause in the contract(s).

re: Concert Cancelled

Dissapointing but from the outset it was obvious that these old bands would not attract punters through the Palmy turnstiles as they once did in their hey day many years ago !

Before the usual negativity is spouted on this site, I would like to say that I feel dreadfully sorry for chairman Billy, Victoria Thompson and everyone else who put such a huge effort into organising this concert which sadly had had to be cancelled due to poor advance sales.
    There is absolutely no doubt that if the weather was good on June the 4th that a very good attendance would be realised, and that is the crux of the problem, - a lot of people would rather wait and see if the weather was good than buy their tickets in advance, - and that is why nothing ever happens in Dumfries.

If the same concert was proposed for Celtic Park or Ibrox, - there'd be bus loads already booked to head up from Dumfries, with people bemoaning the fact that "why doesn't Palmerston host such a concert?"

Well that's that then, - I hope you're all happy because there now won't be any concerts held at Palmy, - and before some cry "but if Calvin Harris was booked it would be a sell out." Yes of cou

[quote="jardi"] Before the usual negativity is spouted on this site, I would like to say that I feel dreadfully sorry for chairman Billy, Victoria Thompson and everyone else who put such a huge effort into organising this concert which sadly had had to be cancelled due to poor advance sales.
    There is absolutely no doubt that if the weather was good on June the 4th that a very good attendance would be realised, and that is the crux of the problem, - a lot of people would rather wait and see if the weather was good than buy their tickets in advance, - and that is why nothing ever happens in Dumfries.

If the same concert was proposed for Celtic Park or Ibrox, - there'd be bus loads already booked to head up from Dumfries, with people bemoaning the fact that "why doesn't Palmerston host such a concert?"

Well that's that then, - I hope you're all happy because there now won't be any concerts held at Palmy, - and before some cry "but if Calvin Harris was bo

Not in the slightest bit surprised .
    Not one of the bands have a massive following like Status Quo and when you continue to ignore the youth of today when hiring them sorts of bands there's only going to be one outcome .
    This has no doubt cost the club and I'd imagine heads might quite rightly roll for this .
    Negative yes but also true

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv
    Saw this coming. Hope the club had a good get out clause in the contract(s).
    This will boost the Beltie Beer Festival at Park Farm - view external link

The club should be applauded for at least attempting to put on such events in an area generally devoid of such occasions. In this particular circumstance I believe that other attractions clashed with this concert and the earlier start time certainly did not help but last years successful event does show you that if the product is attractive enough and there are no local distractions taking place at the same time then the public will turn up and support such events. The club should not be deterred by this unfortunate cancellation and look again to run such events in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth
    The club should be applauded for at least attempting to put on such events in an area generally devoid of such occasions. In this particular circumstance I believe that other attractions clashed with this concert and the earlier start time certainly did not help but last years successful event does show you that if the product is attractive enough and there are no local distractions taking place at the same time then the public will turn up and support such events. The club should not be deterred by this unfortunate cancellation and look again to run such events in the future.
    Has to be gotten right though, no? Not trying to apportion blame or point fingers as I haven't a clue who was in charge of this but expecting a big turn out to see a group of bands most people under 40 won't have heard of on the same day as another big event in a town of thirty odd thousand people was not a great idea. Well intentioned I'm sure but ill

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv
    Has to be gotten right though, no? Not trying to apportion blame or point fingers as I haven't a clue who was in charge of this but expecting a big turn out to see a group of bands most people under 40 won't have heard of on the same day as another big event in a town of thirty odd thousand people was not a gr

Louisxiv, - perhaps you'd like to put your own head on the line and act as the organiser and guarantor, - since you are obviously the King at knowing how to organise concerts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)