Get your very own personalised Villa Chat gifts!

Thread: Championship regulations

Championship regulations

All the talk of 50 million spending spree got me thinking. Isn't there a limit on how much you can spend as a non Prem team?

Isn't this why QPR were being threatened with not being allowed back into the Championship or a deduction of points?

I thought there was a billionaire owner of a lower league team that was told he couldn't spend what he wanted.

Isn't this why our sky money is going to be in parachute payments?

Regardless of whether you have a new trillionaire owner or not.

Let me know.

re: Championship regulations

"The Championship's FFP rules, agreed by an overwhelming majority of clubs, 21 to three, after two years of detailed discussion, set limits for losses and real sanctions for overspending. Clubs which spend this season above the total permitted loss of 3m, plus a further 5m if paid in by an owner, and remain in the Championship, will be barred from signing players from January. The transfer embargo will be lifted only when a club shows that its spending has been brought within the limits, which reduce to 6m in total next season and 5m from 2015-16 onwards; a 2m loss, plus 3m invested by an owner. These limits are now to be reviewed after the huge increase in parachute payments after the Premier League's 5.5bn TV deals from 2013-16, which mean relegated clubs are paid 23m in their first year in the Championship, 18m the following season and 9m in each of the two seasons after that"

So much for spending 50m this summer...

Thanks guys.

Like I said. We have to quickly unload players and use those funds and even then we have to hold some back because of last seasons losses.

Amavi & Ayew are worth a few bob, Bacuna will be about 5M, probably pay up Lescott/Richards & Gabby's contracts, incurring losses and enable some spending. Probably right to have FFP as it is now otherwise you'd never have a Bournemouth situation which doesn't feel right to me

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamman
    So much for spending 50m this summer...
    Why does it preclude us spending 50M on players. The players transfer fees in our accounts are linked to the length of their contracts and are amortised over the number of years they sign up for, so it would mean we had say 12.5M of depreciation every year if they all had 4 year contracts.

It's about trading losses - so you can spend on infrastructure and not be penalised for instance. So you get as much of your costs as you can classified as infrastructure or training or youth development. We have parachute income to help soften the blow, and we may well up being called The Lotus Park with Lotus as our shirt sponsors and all that shareholder funds being invested into the club can be classified as income (see Citeh for previous example of how to manipulate the rules). There are always ways and means of circumnavigating these "rules"

Also let's not forget how many clubs who hav