+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tommy spurr

re: Tommy spurr

Exactly !

Very concerning.

We have also let tanner go another promising player and on the subject of spurr he was our only left back
    we don't know what Doyle is like he could be great he could get shown up
    trust me Henley isn't the answer there he played in that position a couple of times and he really looks uncomfortable and no strikers on the books things are not looking good
    we have saved on wages that much is true but whoever the new manager is he has one hell of a task in front of him.

The weird thing is, about eight or nine of the released juniors are forwards. As far as I can see, the only striker retained from the current Under-21 team is Rittenberg.
    Presumably, the managers/coaches involved at that level have had some input, but it does seem a dramatic cull. Like Champs, I am particularly surprised about Preston.
    On the subject of the senior players, getting rid of Kilgallon and Spurr would be too risky for me. After all, there is no guarantee we will keep Hanley.
    Incidentally, our Under-21 squad next season is going to be VERY young!

Aucks, our concerns are for me very well founded due to the continued 'mismanagement' by Venkys.
    Yes as champs and Howie say a clear out at this time of year is not unexpected it happens at every club. However 'cost cuttings' take many forms!
    Anyone can enter any business and cost cut by just 'removing' any and every financial burden, with no real thought to what next. The clever trick is in doing it whilst making the venture just lean enough to then rebound and be more stable/stronger in the future.

That IS the trick. I'm hoping all concerned have got this right. We are potentially dumping several very experienced senior players and about 70% of the Under-21 squad.
    Of the younger players, we seem to be keeping Raya, Nyambe, Henley, Wharton, Doyle, Thomson, Lenihan, Tomlinson, O'Sullivan, Mahoney and Rittenberg - a full eleven!! There is a lot of promise there, but...
    Part of me hopes this is the result of detailed consultation and shows careful forward-planning.
    On the other hand, part of me expects to win the lottery this week.
    I don't see how we can be anything other than uneasy.

The glimmer of hope is mansell,hardcastle and Rankin-Costello all 3 have very bright futures the concern is throwing all 3 in a very hard league full of experienced centre backs could damage them long term
    our shortage up front is very concerning and the thought of a front 2 comprising of a combined age younger than me(36)
    Makes me ponder the thought of league 1 football the season after.

Yes: Rankin-Costello is only 16; Hardcastle, 17; Mansell, 18. It's a big ask.
    I'm assuming the Under-18 group is so promising, the decision was made not to offer more contracts at the Under-21 level, but I hope none of those released come back to bite us!

The new manager will have to convince venkys to part with a bit of cash as up front and at left back there is obvious shortages
    we have some great youngsters at the club but in league where it's relentless Saturday Tuesday games we cannot field a team littered with youngsters
    Just how much the new manager will get is another question but you cannot keep selling what talent you have and not replacing them we have reached a point where we have a squad that is running short of options.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover
    The new manager will have to convince venkys to part with a bit of cash as up front and at left back there is obvious shortages
    we have some great youngsters at the club but in league where it's relentless Saturday Tuesday games we cannot field a team littered with youngsters
    Just how much the new manager will get is another question but you cannot keep selling what talent you have and not replacing them we have reached a point where we have a squad that is running short of options.
    An excellent summary of the situation, Robin.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)