+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tommy spurr

re: Tommy spurr

I do believe we will likely retain some of the players released anyway. I know they are looking at Spurr and Kilgalon.
    Trouble is they are out of contrcat and we do not have a manager in place, so ultimately its Irvine making decisions. It would make no sense to start retaining out of contract players, before a new man came in.
    Re the young players, I dont see that many bursting onto the scene who are not already there. We have one or two promising, who are already in the first team. We dont really have anyone in our under 21 side. Thats been the problem this last season.
    The one side we do have that is looking to bring on more is our under 18's. But We will not start seeing these lads until the season after next, at least. So patience, and lots of loan signings will be required.
    Which means that Russell Slade must be the decent option?
    His net spend at Cardiff was £150k .....he got rid of all the rubbish, and made side that missed out on the play-offs on the final game of th

There is an impression from Cardiff fans they were astonished Slade got then so close to the play offs such was his perceived ineptitude.

He really wasn't popular at all.

I said a very shortened but similar statement on the slade thread
    he would be ideal for us for the above points you have made
    fans who expect promotion this season need to take a cold shower we dont have the budget or squad capable to mount a challenge
    it will require a build over 3 seasons before we are in a position to make that statement
    as for youth we have a few talented players coming through but are at the crossroads of not being quite ready yet
    Doyle
    Walton
    Tomlinson
    hardcastle
    mansell
    Rankin Costello
    all the above will more than likely make an impression in the first team but expecting them to hit the ground running next season might be a bit much to ask.

I agree Robin.

And Sax, as you have pointed out to others (mainly Auks) its NOT a popularity contest, its about amassing points in a tough league.
    I dont want to be mates with Slade, nor do i expect him to fill our lives with joy. That said, he is current, he is available .....he has a NET SPEND OF £150k ....and he knows the division! he ticks every single box of what we need wee we are, and what is expected. He is a massive step up from Keith Hill etc ....and a billion miles more relevant that Billy Davies who is the polar opposite to someone like Slade.out of the game, no real track record, wastes millions upon millions (which he will never get here, so cant waste anything) and upsets just about everybody including his own players, own board, own fans. its been years and years since he was relevant, did even a half decent job? whereas its not even been a month since Slade did an excellent job. Frankly its irrelevant what Cardiff fans say? Facts are facts. He did a great job, an

I personally would jump at the chance of a available manager who can operate on a shoestring budget
    sadly we are in the hands of venkys who are more likely to offer the job to Marge the tea lady rather than slade.

They are accountable for everything, but by handing the reigns last time (to Shaw) it proved one step too far.
    Shaw went and got PL, and then contacted Venkys saying 'Ive found your man' of which they took that as gospel. Of course the book stops with Venky's, but they werent aware Shaw was telling PL 'we can spend all this money from Rhodes on new players etc etc'. Had they been, I dont belive PL would ever have joined. He figured that out when Shaw left, and confronted Venkys.
    They know things are tight with money .....I still get confused why fans are saying 'we need to spend ££' or the new manager needs to be given x amount of funds ......but the one thing we all know ....if we spend another penny .....we go straight into another embargo?!!!
    they are looking at major cost cutting. But I think they realise the one position they need to get right is manager.
    With all the facts presented in front of us .....I believe Slade comes out on top. Crucially ....he actually wants to c

Champs, very well assessed, and I agree.
    The thing that grates with me is that we are getting nothing really directly from Venkys, cept for the snippet today.
    If they came out and stated promotion is off the agenda (for now) and now its about steadying the ship in order to make it viable for a push (and that long awaited payback) at some later date. To do this we are going to really give our young charges their head and see what we can make of it, including some seasoned loans along the way of course.
    It may not be what the 'promotional aspirants' want to hear, but it would for me at least be a breath of fresh air.

I wish we could generate threads like this more often.
    Lots of good, thoughtful contributions.
    It looks as if we've missed out on Mourinho.

[quote="champs95"]They are accountable for everything, but by handing the reigns last time (to Shaw) it proved one step too far.
    Shaw went and got PL, and then contacted Venkys saying 'Ive found your man' of which they took that as gospel. Of course the book stops with Venky's, but they werent aware Shaw was telling PL 'we can spend all this money from Rhodes on new players etc etc'. Had they been, I dont belive PL would ever have joined. He figured that out when Shaw left, and confronted Venkys.
    They know things are tight with money .....I still get confused why fans are saying 'we need to spend ££' or the new manager needs to be given x amount of funds ......but the one thing we all know ....if we spend another penny .....we go straight into another embargo?!!!
    they are looking at major cost cutting. But I think they realise the one position they need to get right is manager.
    With all the facts presented in front of us .....I believe Slade comes out o

I believe we are still in a precarious situation due to no more parachute payments however rules have been relaxed a little
    39 million over 3 years or if you like 13 million per season where it goes belly up for us we are still turning over more than we earn due to poor attendances
    I still see no reason why we cannot at least have the 2 million bonus from the Rhodes deal to be used on the squad
    what can that buy you these days?that depends on the manager I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)