+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Top Gear

Top Gear

Wasn't expecting much from the revamped TG, but last night's effort was even poorer than I imagined it would be.

Evans shouting his way through the show and clearly trying so hard to emulate Clarkson, scripting being cringeworthy and obvious, presenting was flat and, other than the Nomad cinematography, the features were tedious and neither informative nor entertaining - actually dozed off with 15 minutes to go.

Overall, it felt like a very poor quality tribute act - unoriginal and, whilst I thought old TG was getting a bit predictable towards the end, an absolute shadow of its former self.

If Le Blanc is allowed to be himself, he may not be too bad and, who knows, he might start to grow on me. But if Evans carries on as he started, I can see this being 'new' Top Gear's first and last run of episodes.

Clarkson and chums must've been pi55ing themselves if they were watching last night.

It has to get better with time, but only because it can't get much worse.

re: Top Gear

I didn't think it was that bad at all.

Evans was far too shouty, he needs to tone that down but I doubt he will. It's probably no more scripted than the old version was but at least they made it believable. They seem to be between two stools, clinging onto things from the past show yet trying to be different.
    Le Blanc was the best thing about it.

It is only the first show so I think they'll bed in over time.

Agree with Pents, it was better than I was expecting. If Chris Evans can just calm it down a tad and Matt Le Blanc finds his feet I think it'll work quite well.
    Was surprised they'd kept very much the same format, but a bit of spit and polish and it'll be good

It was an awful [attempted] facsimile of its former self - it was painful, cringeworthy and completely non-entertaining. I thought it was abysmal.

I do acknowledge it could get better but, as above, only because it can't possibly be any poorer than last night's effort.

[ remains unconvinced of last point.]

It was alright, but not that great, I laughed a few times, I do think they need three of them for the road trips to work properly. if its going to be Brits vs USA every week, that will get very boring.
    I could'nt stand Evans on tv but I do like his radio 2 show now, but having him back on my screen I'm just left think hes still a ginger **** trying to hard to be liked.