+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Muhammad Ali Deid

re: Muhammad Ali Deid

For most people he'd have been on their list of people they'd loved to have met. Global icon.
    As for dodging the draft, maybe America would be a better country if they'd all avoided the draft. That act in itself showed the bravery of the man.
    RIP Muhammad Ali.

A Legend in the truest sense of the word, a great man and the world is a sadder place with his passing.

RIP

[quote="deedon". He certainly wasn't the greatest boxer ever. Dodged the draft and his treatment of women is questionable to say the least.
    But RIP just the same. [/quote]

What do you mean "certainly" wasn't the greatest boxer. I would say "arguably" he WAS.

As for dodging the draft, here are his comments on his decision at the time: "“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so- called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand woul

Mind reading how even Brian Clough felt humbled in Ali's presence.
    Describes meeting him for the first time and ,after their handshake ,could not get over the size of Ali's huge ,huge hands .

RIP

Difficult to compare against different generations however I believe he was by far the best in my lifetime, wonderfully boxer, brilliant showman, knew how to put bums on seats. RIP

[quote="TheRealSLYFOX". He certainly wasn't the greatest boxer ever. Dodged the draft and his treatment of women is questionable to say the least.

I couldn't care less about him refusing to go to war. I always thought it to be ever so slightly contradictory though, ironic even, refusing to fight.

Seemed to be involved, in at least, in many good causes after retirement. I hope the work carries on in his.

He was a terrific boxer in his day and quite a character. Not the greatest anything though. He certainly hasn't done anything, in my opinion, to deserve this self proclaimed title. Like you said, there were some very questionable things in his past.

Big shame to see someone like that, larger than life, reduced to the shadow of the man he once was. The whole story reads like a tragedy to me, from start to finish.

[quote="deedon". He certainly wasn't the greatest boxer ever. Dodged the draft and his treatment of women is questionable to say the least.

What do you mean "certainly" wasn't the greatest boxer. I would say "arguably" he WAS.

As for dodging the draft, here are his comments on his decision at the time: "“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so- called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand woul

[quote="TheRealSLYFOX". He certainly wasn't the greatest boxer ever. Dodged the draft and his treatment of women is questionable to say the least.

As for dodging the draft, here are his comments on his decision at the time: "“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so- called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I

No matter who dies there's always someone out there that will have something to say bad about them ;-)

The only Ali fight I ever saw was his second last fight against Larry Holmes. He was a pale shadow of himself & it was obvious Holmes was going easy on him. He admitted as much afterwards. That fight should never have been allowed to happen.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast