+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Uche

Uche

Given a free by Watford.

Any thoughts for Division 2 level

Wherever the lad ends up it will be his last chance saloon, he has to show some kid of consistency at some level, and league 2 may just be that level for him. I would take him on a 1 year deal, he could learn from Ryan, christ he is only 20/21 I think, why the hell not.

Quote Originally Posted by England_First View Post
    Wherever the lad ends up it will be his last chance saloon, he has to show some kid of consistency at some level, and league 2 may just be that level for him. I would take him on a 1 year deal, he could learn from Ryan, christ he is only 20/21 I think, why the hell not.
    I agree, he could be a good asset to have but whether he would accept our lowish wages, I don't know. But if he is struggling to get a club, it could suit us both. I think SD liked him too. Yes, he frustrates but gave us a few laughs as well. What I do find strange is some players opting for other L2 clubs rather than here, despite our reputation and Championship training facilities?

Money I suppose! Can you blame them?

Personally I wouldn't touch him. We have a couple of young strikers plus Ryan and if we need a big fella let's take one with fewer risks involved, who is more of a team player and, as they say, offers something different. Uche is just a bigger clumsier version of Udoh I think and was never much of a team player. That something different would be decent in the air and able to hold the ball up - a Marcus Haber upgrade, if you like.

As to what we can afford, it's a free market out there and players can go to a club of their choosing and their decisions will obviously involve pay, length of contract, do they have mates at the club already, would they have to move home, etc, etc - that's why I think we missed the boat with Jamie Ness as he might have taken less money due to the other factors. We may well struggle to attract the 'right sort' of experienced player unless there's something else on offer, such as a coaching role as we did with Cox a few years back.

I don't think it's worth getting 25 to 27 year olds as they aren't likely to improve as a result of our coaching reputation, so we either need players at the start of their career (like Uche but better!) or towards the end.

We will have to offer something different - perhaps someone might fancy taking a degree in commercial marketing with work experience at the Club!

Not sure about Uche. I think that the cons outweigh the pros and we should look elsewhere. Shame we did not get Danny Hilton, but I expect we would not have been competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Personally I wouldn't touch him. We have a couple of young strikers plus Ryan and if we need a big fella let's take one with fewer risks involved, who is more of a team player and, as they say, offers something different. Uche is just a bigger clumsier version of Udoh I think and was never much of a team player. That something different would be decent in the air and able to hold the ball up - a Marcus Haber upgrade, if you like.

As to what we can afford, it's a free market out there and players can go to a club of their choosing and their decisions will obviously involve pay, length of contract, do they have mates at the club already, would they have to move home, etc, etc - that's why I think we missed the boat with Jamie Ness as he might have taken less money due to the other factors. We may well struggle to attract the 'right sort' of experienced player unless there's something else on offer, such as a coaching role as we did with Cox a few years back.

I don't think it's worth getting 25 to 27 year olds as they aren't likely to improve as a result of our coaching reputation, so we either need players at the start of their career (like Uche but better!) or towards the end.
    My understanding of Ness was he wanted to come here and his wage demands were not excessive and there was no agent's fee either.
    Steve took it to the board and they said NO. I wonder if he could have helped to keep us up and got for us more TV money this year? Ie paid for it himself so tho speak

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    My understanding of Ness was he wanted to come here and his wage demands were not excessive and there was no agent's fee either.
    Steve took it to the board and they said NO. I wonder if he could have helped to keep us up and got for us more TV money this year? Ie paid for it himself so tho speak
    Personally, as he was only fit enough for I think 28 of their 46 games, I doubt it, but not knowing that last summer I'd have had him then!

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    We will have to offer something different - perhaps someone might fancy taking a degree in commercial marketing with work experience at the Club!

Not sure about Uche. I think that the cons outweigh the pros and we should look elsewhere. Shame we did not get Danny Hilton, but I expect we would not have been competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    Offered to sign for less than Scunny were offering him as he wouldn't have needed to uproot his family. £2k a week allegedly but turned down.

No doubt we could make an offer and somebody else will better it, I doubt Uche will want to play league 2 football.