+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If there is a second EU referendum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If there is a second EU referendum

I wonder how many of the leave voters would change their mind in a second vote? I suspect quite a lot and the Remains would win a second referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram View Post
    I wonder how many of the leave voters would change their mind in a second vote? I suspect quite a lot and the Remains would win a second referendum.
    which of course would render the entire exercise a colossal waste of money: maybe as much as 365 million

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    which of course would render the entire exercise a colossal waste of money: maybe as much as 365 million
    If the 365 million went to the private sector and not to those employed by Government or by Local Government it would be considered a boost to the economy. Why is it that the Private Sector are considered wealth creators and the Public Sector wealth destroyers. Surely the tax paid by someone employed in providing essential infrastructure should be valued equally to that of an employee in a cigarette factory .

I was referring to the cost of the referendum/referenda itself/themselves as being a colossal waste of money, especially if the losing side plan to now call "best of three?". What if the second vote goes leave as well: will they then ask for "best of five"?

Nothing whatsoever to do with public and private sector spending policies

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram View Post
    Why do you think that? I was telling all those that were listening that they were being lied to.

There's no chance of a second vote for at least 5-10 years and would they want us back?

Disagree for once KCG, imo there is an increasing likelihood of a second referendum. People are wising up to the extent to which they've been lied to and the rapidity with which Farage and IDS tried to disassociate themselves from the £350m claim.
    People are also beginning to see the chaos that's already been caused and asking how we can have been led in this direction by just over 51% of the 71% who were entitled/able/felt sufficiently knowledgeable to vote.
    My question would be, was there ever any point in holding a referendum at all, other than as a sop to the Tory infighting that was going on at the time of the last election and has it not been proved that the whole issue of EU membership is far too complex for the public to decide on. Isn't that why we have a Parliamentary democracy, so that our elected representatives - whose job it is to have allegedly greater understanding - can make those decisions on our behalf?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Disagree for once KCG, imo there is an increasing likelihood of a second referendum. People are wising up to the extent to which they've been lied to and the rapidity with which Farage and IDS tried to disassociate themselves from the £350m claim.
    People are also beginning to see the chaos that's already been caused and asking how we can have been led in this direction by just over 51% of the 71% who were entitled/able/felt sufficiently knowledgeable to vote.
    My question would be, was there ever any point in holding a referendum at all, other than as a sop to the Tory infighting that was going on at the time of the last election and has it not been proved that the whole issue of EU membership is far too complex for the public to decide on. Isn't that why we have a Parliamentary democracy, so that our elected representatives - whose job it is to have allegedly greater understanding - can make those decisions on our behalf?
    Sort of get where you are coming from.. It's like a member of the public sitting on a complex fraud case.. Way too complex for most to understand.. I get that, could be an issue. Yes we elect our local politician but I am not comfortable with them voting with self interest at heart.. Let's face it, Brussels is the next port of call once they leave UK politics.. Nice little number with little to answer for or to.
    Day to day stuff.. That's what they are paid for, this was not day to day stuff.
    Some of the vitriol aimed at people who voted leave is quite shocking.. Typical of some that unless you voted remain your are uneducated and subhuman.. Crap!
    The 'people' spoke... It's all of our jobs to work together to find away forward and making Britian great again. We can't keep having new votes just because the result did not go your way..

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    Sort of get where you are coming from.. It's like a member of the public sitting on a complex fraud case.. Way too complex for most to understand.. I get that, could be an issue. Yes we elect our local politician but I am not comfortable with them voting with self interest at heart.. Let's face it, Brussels is the next port of call once they leave UK politics.. Nice little number with little to answer for or to.
    Day to day stuff.. That's what they are paid for, this was not day to day stuff.
    Some of the vitriol aimed at people who voted leave is quite shocking.. Typical of some that unless you voted remain your are uneducated and subhuman.. Crap!
    The 'people' spoke... It's all of our jobs to work together to find away forward and making Britian great again. We can't keep having new votes just because the result did not go your way..
    On the contrary politicians are elected to make difficult complicated decisions, most people can handle the day to day stuff, how the **** is even the most intelligent person able to have the necessary resources to be able to have the information required to make a decision like this one?

As for the referendum, well for me it was won on pure lies, which those who backed leave are distancing themselves from - as we are likelt to end up with a deal that gives access to the single market, free movement of labour, compliance with EU rules and still paying contributins but with no voice no veto, how the **** does that improve matters?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    On the contrary politicians are elected to make difficult complicated decisions, most people can handle the day to day stuff, how the **** is even the most intelligent person able to have the necessary resources to be able to have the information required to make a decision like this one?
    You remainers seem to have... Or so you keep telling everyone.
    So what if the politicians had voted to leave? Would you have accepted it then?

Those in favour of Remain have by and large expressed distaste for the EU as an institution whilst recognising that on balance the UK was better off as a full member with a voice and a veto - I note you have avoided answering what the ****ing point of voting leave was if we essentially are stuck with the issues which those who voted leave thought they were getting.

Well in a parliamentary democracy you vote Politicians to run the country, so if a party ran an election campaign on a leave the EU ticket and got elected then yes I'd accept that.

what I can't accept is the likelyhood that the 4% and majority was achieved by lies and falsehoods, people I know say they voted leave as they thought £350 million would go to the NHS, aint going to happen and anyway the £350 million is false and proven to be so and admitted now by the Leave side.

Others thought that immigration would stop, no say those on the Leave side who just days ago were saying that a vote for leave would cut immigration!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)