+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Butler

Dan Butler

Signed for Newport County.Be good to see him come back to FP. I always thought he was better than he was given credit for.

Played 45 times for Torquay last season and did well. He was being linked with Exeter but has gone to a team we cant beat at Fp. Be interesting to see how he does.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue View Post
    Played 45 times for Torquay last season and did well. He was being linked with Exeter but has gone to a team we cant beat at Fp. Be interesting to see how he does.
    Probably come back to haunt us, they normally do

Cant beat a good corkhead. Always rated his effort and potential talent. He came on leaps and bounds whilst at the club and was in a Pompey squad that at one time featured three corkheads I believe. Something that I never thought would happen and of which I was extremely proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Corkhead View Post
    Cant beat a good corkhead. Always rated his effort and potential talent. He came on leaps and bounds whilst at the club and was in a Pompey squad that at one time featured three corkheads I believe. Something that I never thought would happen and of which I was extremely proud .
    LIKE...... a manual like as there doesn't appear to be a "like" button any more

I thought that you would "like" that Kitey - all the best to you.

Famous corkhead footballers, now there's a theme for a thread. Wouldn't be too long though.

Roy Shiner?

Name:  post-4683-0-12043400-1334823657_thumb.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  31.9 KB

[QUOTE=Corkhead;38182729]I thought that you would "like" that Kitey - all the best to you.

Famous corkhead footballers, now there's a theme for a thread. Wouldn't be too long though.

Roy Shiner?

In his Sheffield Wednesday strip:
    Roy Albert James Shiner (15 November 1924 in Ryde, Isle of Wight – 1988) was a professional footballer who played as a forward for Ryde Sports, Cheltenham Town, Huddersfield Town, Sheffield Wednesday & Hull City. He later went on to manage clubs on the Isle of Wight such as Newport (IOW), Seaview and St. Helens.

Shiner joined Huddersfield in December 1951 as a replacement for Ronnie Burke at centre-forward and made his debut on Christmas Day. He played in eight further matches that season but for the next three years he was used mainly as a replacement when another forward was injured. Always an enthusiastic and vigorous player, he made a total of only 21 first-team appearances in three and a half seasons at Huddersfield, scoring six goals.

He moved to Sheffield Wednesday along with Ron Staniforth in the summer of 1955 where his career blossomed. In four seasons there he made 153 appearances and scored 93 goals. He then spent a season at Hull City.

I think he ended up working with my dad at Westridge Construction although not 100% sure of that. He shares a birthday (although not birthyear) with another celebrated Corkhead (yours truly).

This got me thinking of a team of pro-IoWer footballers who were either born or brought up on the Island or have recent connections. Sure there is a lot more I don't know of. Formation an adventurous 3-4-3.

GK: Keiron Baker (Bournemouth) or Simon Moore (Brentford) or David Icke (Coventry)
    Def: Rob Wakerley (Scum)
    Def: Dan Butler (Pompey)
    Def: Lewis Buxton (Sheff W)
    Mid: Wayne Talkes (Scum)
    Mid: Ian Russell (Bournemouth)
    Mid: Ian Hailes (Bournemouth)
    Mid: Gareth Williams (Hull City)
    For: Roy Shiner (Sheff W)
    For: Lee Bradbury (Man City)
    For: Keith Allen (Plymouth)

Couple of good articles about Corkhead footballers

http://georgeweahscousin.com/the-kids-are-all-wight/

http://georgeweahscousin.com/?s=kids+are+all+wight
    your old mate Brian Marriott contributing to some of the articles

no mention of the Allen dynasty... Keith definitely played league football
    Last edited by bluekite; 29-06-2016 at 01:18 PM.

I saw Keith play for Grimsby in a cup match at FP in the 60s. Gave C and myself free tickets for the match on the way over on the ferry. Brian played for England Youth Clubs at FP, Plymouth and Ninian Park (I think).
    Last edited by Corkhead; 29-06-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)