+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 207 of 922 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307707 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I wonder if Bliar would have been so eager to back Bush unconditionally and commit our forces, if he knew that his son would have been in the front line, as well as other people's sons and daughters.
    Very fair point...but then I don't suppose the lovely Mark Thatcher was likely to have been found in the vicinity of the Falklands...probably feathering his own nest doing an arms deal somewhere. Apart from the fact that his name lends itself to the tedious play on letters, why signal Blair out...he's a politician, he lies...don't the vast majority of them?

Totally different circumstances, in the 80s another country attacked our Falkland Islands. Bliar after giving Bush unconditional support brexit getting any backing from government, then proceeded to lead us into attacking another sovereign country.

It always amazes me that we never got rid of Mugabe who was as bad or worse than Saddam. But then again there's no oil there and it isn't in the USA interests.

Bliar hijacked the labour party for his own gain and in the process has caused the debacle we have now. I wonder where we would be now, if John Smith had not passed away so early. I think we would have had a more traditional labour party without all the spin and showbiz and ultimately a better government.

Totally different circumstances, in the 80s another country attacked our Falkland Islands. Bliar after giving Bush unconditional support brexit getting any backing from government, then proceeded to lead us into attacking another sovereign country.

It always amazes me that we never got rid of Mugabe who was as bad or worse than Saddam. But then again there's no oil there and it isn't in the USA interests.

Bliar hijacked the labour party for his own gain and in the process has caused the debacle we have now. I wonder where we would be now, if John Smith had not passed away so early. I think we would have had a more traditional labour party without all the spin and showbiz and ultimately a better government.
    They're not different circumstances at all as far as the PM's offspring are concerned which is the point you made and I was responding to.
    The Falklands War was, imo, a 'populist' campaign designed to reinvigorate Thatcher's declining popularity.
    Agree about Mugabe...horrible regime...but would 'getting rid' of him have been any more justifiable than Saddam Hussein according to your criteria?
    Yes John Smith was that rare thing, a decent politician, but tbf...Tony Blair did do a lot of good and made the UK a better more caring place before he too appeared to go rotten.

I think your last observation is very apt, Mangara. Blair, when he first appeared, was something of a breath of fresh air - a voice of reason after the over indulgence of the Thatcher regime and one who did not fight her extremism (albeit softened a bit by some years of Major) with left wing extremism of his own. Sadly he as you say went rotten, or morally corrupt maybe. He was the first PM I think that fell for the cult of publicity and believed HE was bigger than the job. it became all about "me me me". A great opportunity lost to create a slightly left of centre government which could have lasted longer under a less self absorbed leadership. In the end he transformed from Blair into Bliar, not helped by his need to cosy up to Bush: his reign became unsustainable and I am sure that there is more to emerge as records become released into the public.

Smith was indeed the "great white hope" if I may be excused the expression, Had Kinnock resigned before being beaten by Major things would have been very different as I think Smith would have won that election on a "soft reform" basis. He had to do this in opposition and then unfortunately died before his time allowing more hard reformers like Blair and Brown in which simply created "Tory Light". But Smith laid the groundwork for all of the subsequent reforms and deserves much praise. But I will always wonder if, on the basis of all power corrupts, he would have maintained his sang froid or whether, like Bliar, he would have sold out. We will never know

The way I see it is that Bliar didn't change, his lies and spin just got found out.

Yes, he did some good things but right from the beginning it's been Bliar first and labour or country second. He's brought a new (to us) type of politics based on hype and spin and the British public fell for it. Right from the beginning he has developed contacts and opportunities to serve him well after his premiership rather than putting the country first. If the country benefited from it, all the better, but his image was and still is everything.

Let's face it, if Bush hadn't promised revenge for 9/11, Iraq wouldn't have been invaded and hundreds of our forces would be still alive or not maimed for life.

My view on wars, and therefore the incidents mentioned, is not very nuanced: Re Belgrano and Dresden, the other side started it so cop for this pal. Re Iraq we ('the west') well and truly stuck our noses into the business of a culture we simply don't 'get' and maimed and slaughtered either directly or (ever since) indirectly countless thousands after ignoring independent expert advice, so there is a case to answer.

Which brings us back to Blair. He has two cases to answer IMO.

The first is as above

the second is that, under his watch, the erosion of our (my) national identity was accelerated at a pace that is still out of control. I actually blame him, the (New) Labour party and a cohort of 'defenders of the PC' for cultivating the feeling of dissatisfaction that led to the Brexit vote.

Which brings us (or me at least) back to Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    My view on wars, and therefore the incidents mentioned, is not very nuanced: Re Belgrano and Dresden, the other side started it so cop for this pal. Re Iraq we ('the west') well and truly stuck our noses into the business of a culture we simply don't 'get' and maimed and slaughtered either directly or (ever since) indirectly countless thousands after ignoring independent expert advice, so there is a case to answer.

Which brings us back to Blair. He has two cases to answer IMO.

The first is as above

the second is that, under his watch, the erosion of our (my) national identity was accelerated at a pace that is still out of control. I actually blame him, the (New) Labour party and a cohort of 'defenders of the PC' for cultivating the feeling of dissatisfaction that led to the Brexit vote.

Which brings us (or me at least) back to Brexit
    But while I can accept that Labour/aspects of political correctness may have contributed to 'cultivating the feeling of dissatisfaction that led to the Brexit vote' you couldn't have been too concerned about the erosion of your national identity because you, if I remember rightly, voted 'Remain'.

As regards Dresden...I don't think ordinary Germans started WWII...it was surely Hitler and the Nazis but it was ordinary Germans, including many refugees who were killed by a bombardment of questionable necessity.

hair hair

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    But while I can accept that Labour/aspects of political correctness may have contributed to 'cultivating the feeling of dissatisfaction that led to the Brexit vote' you couldn't have been too concerned about the erosion of your national identity because you, if I remember rightly, voted 'Remain'.

As regards Dresden...I don't think ordinary Germans started WWII...it was surely Hitler and the Nazis but it was ordinary Germans, including many refugees who were killed by a bombardment of questionable necessity.
    It could be argued that those ordinary Germans chose to turn a blind eye to what went on for years leading to WWII.

It could be argued that those ordinary Germans chose to turn a blind eye to what went on for years leading to WWII.
    Yes it could. It could also be argued that 'those ordinary Germans' were simply too scared to speak out against one of the most ruthless regimes in modern history. I've heard it rumoured that the SS and the Gestapo could be a more than a little tetchy at times.
    I recommend 'The Book Thief' as an entertaining and accessible account of life in wartime Germany, the book is much better than the film, imo. Ben Elton's 'Two Brothers' is also worth a read.

Page 207 of 922 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307707 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)