+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 286 of 922 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336386786 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    MA...at a time when we might need to cash in on our assets...I have a collection of about 200+ vinyl albums from around the mid to late sixties to the dawn of the CD (heresy I know but space became an issue). They’re all in decent to excellent condition...any, obviously, very loose estimate of their financial (as opposed to emotional) worth?
    Not off the top of my head RA. It's a market for collectors. The value/worth/price of any piece of vinyl music will depend on the artist, the LP in question, its condition, its rarity or otherwise, any label or cover variations, original or reprint/reissue, any back story on it etc...... If you care to make a list of them by Artist, LP name, label and condition, I will give you an estimate of what you might get for them. Photos of the labels/sleeves would be a bonus as many have been issued on more than one label or different colours on the same label and/or with different sleeves.

Here is the grading system used on eBay:

Mt = Mint: Never been played or item still sealed. Cover and any extra items such as lyric sheet, booklet or poster (ie contents) are in perfect condition.
    Mt- = Near Mint: In brand new condition with no surface marks or deterioration in sound quality. Cover and contents nearly perfect. (worth about 80 to 85% of the value of a mint)
    Ex = Excellent: Shows some signs of being played but there is very little lessening in sound quality. Cover and contents might have slight wear and/or creasing. (worth about 70 to 75% of the value of a mint)
    VG+ = Better than Very Good: Obviously been played but no significant deterioration in sound quality despite light surface marks. Very little wear and tear on cover and contents, without any major defects. (worth about 50% of the value of a mint)
    VG = Very Good: Obviously been played many times but no major deterioration in sound quality despite noticeable surface marks and occasional light scratch. Normal wear and tear on cover or contents, without any major defects. (worth about 25% of the value of a mint)
    Gd+ = Better than Good: Sound quality has deteriorated but with no distortion. Light scratches and occasional mild scratch. Cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges but not spine splits or discoloration. (worth about 10% of the value of a mint)
    Gd = Good: Sound quality has noticably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion. Mild scratches. Cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discoloration etc.
    Fair: Still just playable but has not been cared for properly and displays considerable surface noise - it may even jump. Cover and contents will be torn, stained and/or defaced. (worth about 5% of the value of a mint)
    Poor: Will not play properly due to scratches, bad surface noise etc. Cover and contents will be badly damaged or partly missing. (worth about 5p)

If you want to check for yourself, go to Discogs.com and you will see which ones of yours are up for sale by others. You can select artist and/or title and then choose the right condition VG+ etc and see what they are going for on there. If there are a lot for sale of a particular LP then the value will be low as it obviously doesn't sell well. Or of course they are asking too much for it. If there is just one on there and it is a high figure then I would say that the asking price is way too high.

Andy..... The Jackie Day I got for 20 notes isn't on any of the few CDs I have.

I should have thought you would be happy with the current mess up in negotiating Brexit rA as surely it increases the chances of the government quitting on the idea altogether ?

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I should have thought you would be happy with the current mess up in negotiating Brexit rA as surely it increases the chances of the government quitting on the idea altogether ?
    Happy about the fact it may not happen...fed up of all the wasted time and the fake outrage it may result in.

Thanks MA...I’ll give it a look.

Depressing doesn’t begin to cover it Andy. Contrary to what some believe I am not a massive ‘lefty’ or rampant Europhile but enough is enough. If we still can’t recognise that this monumental ‘decision’ was made on the basis of virtually no evidence of what the consequences might be and that we are now in serious danger of shooting ourselves in the foot - and both kneecaps aswell - then there really is no hope.
    To return to old ground...the Referendum wasn’t ever binding, it doesn’t reflect the ‘will of the people’ and the ‘people’ reached their conclusion with little, if any, knowledge of what the outcomes might be.
    Yes we need to look very seriously at what caused the backlash against the EU but it’s surely time to call a halt to this act of political self harm.

MA...at a time when we might need to cash in on our assets...I have a collection of about 200+ vinyl albums from around the mid to late sixties to the dawn of the CD (heresy I know but space became an issue). They’re all in decent to excellent condition...any, obviously, very loose estimate of their financial (as opposed to emotional) worth?
    Send me a list RA but the answer is probably not much. If you have a copy of Kossoff Kirke Tetsu And Rabbit or Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in quad then we might be talking, but otherwise its usually pin money only.

Edit: says the bloke who, back in the 90s 'ran' a business selling off a massive catalogue of Atlantic/Warners albums and singles ammassed over 30 years by a distant relative in Canada, and on one occasion consigned a wad of said albums to landfill, including a wierd record called 'Y Kant Tori Rite'. A year or so later I discovered a) it was the extremely rare first record by then mega-famous Tori Amos, and b) my discovery was because a dealer I worked with sold a copy for £2000. And his was a used copy, mine was new. So clueless maybe the government should draft me into the Brexit team...
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 07-12-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Do you still have any of the singles Andy? They may be of interest to me.

This buying and selling of vinyl, just like the art world, is a question of knowing your onions, being able to spot counterfeits and buying what you genuinely want and/or need.

Three cases in point.

Timi Yuro - It'll never be over for me. The original single is expensive. A copy was auctioned 2 months ago for £900. I don't have the wherewithall to shell out that amount. Last year I found out that the LP came out 6 months before the 45. The LP is the original. Paid €20 for the LP.

Jackie Wilson - Because of you. Less expensive than the Timi but still goes for between 150 and 200. The LP is the original. Bought a copy of the LP 2 months ago for £20.

Voices of East Harlem - Cashing In. Was always a 40 quid record. Started going crazy about 8 months ago and is up around 180 now. You guessed it. The LP is the original. Copy on it's way to me from the States. Cost $9.99

I can now legitimately play them out without paying ridiculous amounts for them.

Sometimes you can get lucky. A friend of mine over here was browsing a flea market stall. Found 2 great and rare singles. Vicki Labat - Got to keep hanging on (Shagg label) and Sam Dees - Lonely for you Baby (SSS International). The Labat fetches 2 grand, the Dees goes for 850. He paid €1 each. I have yet to be quite so lucky.

Its been bloody obvious that nobody on the Brexit side had a clue since well before the referendum! Just a pity that those on the remain campaign were equally limp wristed, complacent and clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Its been bloody obvious that nobody on the Brexit side had a clue since well before the referendum! Just a pity that those on the remain campaign were equally limp wristed, complacent and clueless.
    Correct, the problem IMO was that both sides were led by people who reverted to type and believed lying and spreading fear would do the trick. When all said and done though someone should have just slapped Cameron down when he suggested the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Correct, the problem IMO was that both sides were led by people who reverted to type and believed lying and spreading fear would do the trick. When all said and done though someone should have just slapped Cameron down when he suggested the idea.
    IMO, both sides of the argument, with the exception of UKIP and a handful of MPs of various persuasions, were convinced that an OUT vote was never going to happen....... Cameron resigned for one reason and one reason only..... he had got it utterly wrong in his mind. If I had had a vote I would have voted out because I don't believe in a US of E. It is something the powers that be have denied as being the end game ever since the 1st day of the Common Market way back when. It IS and always has been the end game. They have also contuniuously denied that there will be an EU Army. That too is now a reality. I actually thought we already had one called NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    IMO, both sides of the argument, with the exception of UKIP and a handful of MPs of various persuasions, were convinced that an OUT vote was never going to happen....... Cameron resigned for one reason and one reason only..... he had got it utterly wrong in his mind. If I had had a vote I would have voted out because I don't believe in a US of E. It is something the powers that be have denied as being the end game ever since the 1st day of the Common Market way back when. It IS and always has been the end game. They have also contuniuously denied that there will be an EU Army. That too is now a reality. I actually thought we already had one called NATO.
    I’m astonished that such a reasonable, positive and intelligent contributor as yourself would have voted ‘out’ MA but I accept fully that you are entitled to your opinion.
    Imo, Cameron resigned because, by losing the vote, he not only got it hopelessly wrong but had completely ‘lost’ his Party and unfortunately far too much of the rationale behind the Referendum was always about the future of the Tory Party.
    Like you I’m not in favour of a US of E but I really don’t see it like that. Yes, I’ll agree that there is too much bureaucracy and insufficient democracy - although look where the latter has got us recently - but, again imo, the EU has done much more good than harm and I genuinely don’t see it as a threat to our national identity.
    Personally I value the concept of being European just as much as I value being English and post Referendum whenever I am in Europe - mainly Spain and Germany these days - I just feel slightly embarrassed by the whole ‘have our cake and eat it’ Brexit mentality,

I’m astonished that such a reasonable, positive and intelligent contributor as yourself would have voted ‘out’ MA but I accept fully that you are entitled to your opinion.
    Imo, Cameron resigned because, by losing the vote, he not only got it hopelessly wrong but had completely ‘lost’ his Party and unfortunately far too much of the rationale behind the Referendum was always about the future of the Tory Party.
    Like you I’m not in favour of a US of E but I really don’t see it like that. Yes, I’ll agree that there is too much bureaucracy and insufficient democracy - although look where the latter has got us recently - but, again imo, the EU has done much more good than harm and I genuinely don’t see it as a threat to our national identity.
    Personally I value the concept of being European just as much as I value being English and post Referendum whenever I am in Europe - mainly Spain and Germany these days - I just feel slightly embarrassed by the whole ‘have our cake and eat it’ Brexit mentality,
    I very nearly voted out and am a massive eurosceptic, NOT of Europe or Europeans as individuals but of EU, I continue to try to understand the reasoned motivations of all that led them to vote how they did including the new views of RA and of course your own, not sure being ‘astonished’ is how I would treat any reasoned opinion......

Page 286 of 922 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336386786 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)